cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client/Server issue...

A_Goode
Level 3
I have one Master/Media Server running on Win2k3 Server SP2 with a robot/library combo unit.  I have 2 client Novell servers.  All running 6.5.1.  This is our third configuration.  We also have similar configurations running at two satellite offices in other states, and have had no issues with either of those.  For some reason, one of my client servers is reporting itself as a Master Server under the Host Properties, Clients, Host Type field.  I cannot back up anything from this server.  It reads, loads media, and mounts media, then sits at "Writing files" and never proceeds further.  I've checked every setting for the targets and servers on both Novell servers, as well as on the Master backup server, to no avail.   I can't find where it is pulling this information from or where to fix it.  Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A_Goode
Level 3
No sir.  Under the properties of that client in the GUI, only my Master Server is listed there.  Once at the top in short form (slbk4) and once under the bottom window as slbk4.companyname.com.  The client is not listed there at all, and it still shows as a Master Server in the Host Type when listed in the Clients window of the GUI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

from the console gui

go to the properties of the client.

go to servers

The top window is for masters (or other servers who need browse abilities).  the Client name is most likely listed here.  take it out and save the config.... it should not longer show as a master.

A_Goode
Level 3
No sir.  Under the properties of that client in the GUI, only my Master Server is listed there.  Once at the top in short form (slbk4) and once under the bottom window as slbk4.companyname.com.  The client is not listed there at all, and it still shows as a Master Server in the Host Type when listed in the Clients window of the GUI.

A_Goode
Level 3
It end's up that my network team had two entries in DNS, one valid, one invalid.  It was parsing data FROM the valid entry, so everything was talking on start up, but it was returning data TO the invalid entry, so my backup server never got the responses from the server it was trying to back up.  DNS entries were corrected and all is good now.