Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client backup failing with status code 48

Dan4
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

We have master server based on solaris and client server based on windows 2008. Client backup is failing with status code 48.

Here is the log of the job :

22 janv. 2011 10:21:35 - Error bpbrm (pid=25492) bpcd on <Client name> exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found
22 janv. 2011 10:23:28 - started process bpbrm (pid=25492)
22 janv. 2011 10:23:29 - end writing
client hostname could not be found (48)

Please suggest at the earliest how to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

DAN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How does /etc/resolv.conf look on the master server ?. If the master server and client is in different domains you can add the client domain in the search path.

eg:
/etc/resolv.conf

domain acme.com
seach acme.com somedomain.com
nameserver {primary DNS server IP here}
nameserver {secondaryDNS server IP here}

This way the server will be able to find client in somedomain.conf by it's short name.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SRP
Level 4

Dan

Is this a new client?  If so, check on the client on the Backup,Archive,Restore interface that the client name is the same as that on the Master - I don't always use the default name when installing netbackup on a client.

Dan4
Level 5
Certified

Hi SRP,

No it's not a new client. I can see in the Backup,Archive and Restore, the client server FQDN(ex. abc.g9.enterprise) is mentioned and in master server its getting backed up with its resolution name(abc). But as far as I understand it shouldn't be a problem. The client server got successfully backed up in past with the same name.

Please suggest what other things I need to check to resolve the issue.

DAN

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Status 48 indicates hostname resolution issues. Check out the name resolution for server from client and for client from server. Also checkout the hostname configuration under client properties. If changed any restart the NBU daemons and try running backup job.

Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142526

Regards...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How does /etc/resolv.conf look on the master server ?. If the master server and client is in different domains you can add the client domain in the search path.

eg:
/etc/resolv.conf

domain acme.com
seach acme.com somedomain.com
nameserver {primary DNS server IP here}
nameserver {secondaryDNS server IP here}

This way the server will be able to find client in somedomain.conf by it's short name.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

1) double check that dns is still correct and that the master can find the client, and the client can find the master in dns ( both forward and reverse)

2) open the BAR on the clinet and verify that the server name listed is the same name that is in the policy

3) if the server is in a different domain, try using FQDN in the client BAR and the policy.

4) did the server get moved to another domain and they not tell you?