Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client install Checking to see if the PDDE configuration needs upgrading hang

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hello

The of install Netbackup 7.5 client on AIX 7.1 hangs on Checking to see if the PDDE configuration needs upgrading

Have found a technote regarding siilar issue on HP-UX which caused by automount being on, checked and automount (cdromd) was not running on the AIX machine

There is a firewall between the master and the AIX machine

Has somebody seen something like this ?

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Hink
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Please check out TECH214505 here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214505

It has all the information and the download links for the IBM iFixes. 

I still stongly suggest you upgrade to 7.6.0.2 (when available) before any further IBM TL updates are applied as there is no guarantee the IBM fix will be in the next TL.  

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have not seen it and can only find the same TN that you did.

Is this a new NBU7.5 Client installation? Or and upgrade?

Did you remember to use gtar to extract the Client binaries?
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

Do you have the installation log file? (/tmp/install_trace.###)

Hopefully the log will give a clue...

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

It is a new NBU7.5 Client installation. Can't remember which tar I used to extract the files as that was done quite a while ago on our NFS software share.

Have the install log file(s) (latest attached with .txt extension), seems to me that they just stops too.

Can see that pdcfg runs 100% some of the CPU's, think there is a process for each failed install attempt

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

When running sort offline, it seems that perl is using 100% of on CPU

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Seems sort also have ani issue with this AIX machine, get no report to upload

Marianne
Level 6

SORT as in https://sort.symantec.com/ ?

or OS sort command?

Do you suspect something wrong at OS level? 

All I can suggest is to kill hung processes, remove already installed software packages and try again, but if we don't know why the installation got hung in the first place, there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. 
Looking at the log, it seems that installation should be more or less completed? 
Wonder what would happen if you kill hung pdcfg, check that bpcd and vnetd processes are running and then try a small test backup?

I have had a look at Operating system patches and updates in NBU 7.5 Release Notes - there are OS patch requirements listed for AIX 5.3 and 6.1. Nothing for AIX 7.1.

Do you have other AIX clients? Was same software used to install?

dbzq
Level 2

I am running into the same issue. Install hangs at PDDE install but log file does not indicate a problem this includes the PDDE log flle from /var/log/puredisk which shows PDDE agent being successfully installed. There is a firewall between the client and the master server. Just FYI my hardware platform is Power5.

Marianne
Level 6

What you have in common is the firewall between Client and master.

Although Dedupe is not used by the client, it might be worth your while to ask Firewall Admins to monitor network between Master and Client to see if any comms is initiated from the client side during the installation.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

yes sort from tps://sort.symantec.com/ as I hoped to get an error or warning that indicated what problem was

Matt-D
Level 2

I am wondering if this issue is related to AIX 7.1 TL3. I have exactly the same issue when installing a NB master (so no firewalls involved here). Same symptons - hang on pdcfg and it uses lots of CPU.

A truss of the process process reveals nothing either, so it seems to be 100% busy doing absolutley nothing.

Killing the pdcfg processes (had to kill several) then completes the install, seemingly OK, and as far as I can tell the install is good.

AIX 7.1 TL2 installs of NB work fine.

Is everyone else who has this issue using AIX 7.1 TL3?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Thanks. Just checked my PDDE log also indicates that PDDE has been installed successfully

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Our AIX in question is a 7.1 TL3 (oslevel -sq  first entry 7100-03-01-1341)

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Nothing showed up in the firewall on the dedup ports 10082, 10085, 10102

The client install completed after I had killed pdfcg twice with ./pdinstall killed messsages 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have created Case # 05899237 - Client install hangs on "Checking to see if the PDDE configuration needs upgrading"

Matt-D
Level 2

Good idea,

I think that is the only reasonable course to take now. Could you update this thread with the outcome. Good luck!

dbzq
Level 2

AIX version is 7.1 TL 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

According to the supporter on the case it is a known issue on AIX 7.1 TL3 for Netbackup 7.5. Have asked if there is tech note and if yes a link to it

Matt-D
Level 2

Thanks for the update

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

From our AIX machine:

# ldd pdcfg
pdcfg needs:
Cannot find libz.so
Cannot find libssl.so
Cannot find libcrypto.so
         /usr/lib/libpthread.a(shr_xpg5_64.o)
Cannot find libcurl.so
Cannot find libxml2.so
Cannot find libACE.so
Cannot find libACE_SSL.so
Cannot find libssh2.so
Cannot find libdct.so
Cannot find libfc.so
Cannot find libcr.so
Cannot find libmetab.so
Cannot find libpd.so
Cannot find libpuredisk++.so
Cannot find libfsysora.so
Cannot find libstdc++.a(libstdc++.so.6)
Cannot find libgcc_s.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr_64.o)
         /unix
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr_64.o)

Thinking that we either are missing some libraries or they have changed name from TL2 to TL3

Marianne
Level 6

Let us know what the outcome is for TN request.

I would think that NBU 7.6 LBN should be updated with this info as well.

I have search NBU 7.6 documentation for OS requirement for AIX 7.1 and could not find anything...