Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure NDMP

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Hi Folks,

I have a querries regarding my enviroment.

How can we configure NDMP here are some details about my Envir:
Filer (f1), nexus5K switches, and T200 Tape library with LTO5 TD, Master and media on VM (Linux machine)

Here are some of the points which i have prepraed let me know if any thing required. plz help

1: First install NDMP option on master server and put all the nesccary licence.

2: Zone the tape drive with the filer
Two things : NDMP host and NDMP server ( ndmp host is the filer from where we take backups and ndmp server is netbackup master or media server through which backup is happening.

3: Run the commands on filer side so that filer is able to see the tape drives (cmmd : sysconfig -t / storage showtape)

4: Now put the NDMP credential on netbackup ( setup ndmp credential)

5: check from netbackup side that netbackup is able to access the filer ( cmmd : tpautoconf -verify ssh / tpautoconf -probe ssh )

6: once everything looks okay, storage team will give us the path to backup ( /vol/volnme/qtree/qname/snapsht) and we will create the policy accordinly
and take the backup.

Guys please let me know any more thing which is missing over here.

Need your  inputs on it(Step by Step) Zoning part also...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In direct NDMP configuration, tape drives are attached to the filer through SAN, and backup data go from the filer to tape drivrs directly. in this configuration, you can use virtual master server as this master does not  access tape devices by itself. All control and backup activity is done through the filer ising NDMP sessions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

Netbackup 7.5 :

1. First install NDMP option on master server and put all the nesccary licence.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5164

Page 40 talks about installation. There is no need for a separate installation. Same for Windows as well.

2:Once the the license for the NDMP is installed , you will see an option for NDMP under crendentials.

Credential Verification - > Make sure Netbackup autheinticates. -> Under the Media and Device Management -> Credentials. Add the NDMP host here.

You can also use tpconfig - add commands to add and tpautoconf -verify/probe command to verify/probe.

3. Zoning -

a. Create a Zone for  - Robot  -> Master server

Tape Drives -> MasterServer

OR                           Robot - Media Server 

Tape Drives -> Media Server

(Depends on how you want to configure in your environment)

b. Create a  zone for each tape drive and NAS .

4. Make sure the master/media servers OS detects the drives once the zoning is completed.

5. Run the device configuration and choose NDMP on the first screen .Select the master/media server -> Click change and select NDMP .

6: Next screen shows the name of the NAS . Make sure that is selected and click Next.

7: Once the discovery is complete  you will find all the all the detected drives. Select each drive and click properties to see the servers it is connected to.It will automatically populate the new  Storage Units. (You can either use those or create your own. Untick those if you want to create the storage unit by yourself.)-> Next Finish .

8. Last step is to create and NDMP policy with the volumes and test the backup.

Hope this helps.

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Thanks Shilpa for your rply...

This will really help me...

Adding to this..i have one more querry..

Can we take NDMP backups when my master is also acting as media and on VM machine (Linux)...

How..?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I assume you are about to configute direct NDMP in which backup data travels from NAS to tape drives directly through SAN.In this configuration, master server interact NAS through IP network, so don't worry, master on VM is possible. No additional considerations are needed.

BTW, steps detailed above is bit confusing. I would outline the steps here.

1. Zone the tape drive with the filer

You need to present tape drives to the filer via SAN, or attach drives to the filer directly. This zoning task is SAN administrator's task. Ask your SAN admin to configure SAN switches.

2. Add NDMP host and its credentials on NetBackup

Go Media and Device Management >> Credentials >> NDMP hosts,  and add your filer(and its credential) here.

3. Test NDMP connectivity

Run "/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -verify your_filer" , and check its response.You can see OS version of your filer if OK. If failed, confirm if NDMP is enabled and acceptable on your filer. Also check if any firewall  blocks NDMP session(port 10000).

4. Configure tape devices

Run Device Configuration Wizard(Configure storage devices) in GUI.When scan target server listed, select the master server and click button at right side of the window. Then check NDMP host or so. Go through remaining steps.

5. Configure volume pools and volumes as same

6. Configure NDMP type policy

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Thanks Ishikawa for your rply,

Let me xplain u a bit more about my enviroment to have u a better picture.

We have one primary filer and one secondary snavault filer, Data is replicating from primary to secondary filer, and then we are taking backup from secondary filer to the tape drive.

We are having ESX host and our master/media sever is on Vm machine(Linux) on ESX..

So this is how our enviroment is. So my question is how can i configre NDMP backup to take backup of snavault Data...Is this possible to have NDMP backup....Can we face any problem in future..??

Smiles

VashishtG

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

VashistG ,

I missed seeing when you initally mentioned about the master/media being a VM .

Please find the below article. VMware does not support Fiber connected tape drives.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101640...

In your case , as the master and media are the same server and it is a VM -> the backups have to either go to disk or the drives should be SCSI connected.

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

q

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

thanks shilpa ji....:)

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

In direct NDMP configuration, tape drives are attached to the filer through SAN, and backup data go from the filer to tape drivrs directly. in this configuration, you can use virtual master server as this master does not  access tape devices by itself. All control and backup activity is done through the filer ising NDMP sessions.