cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeDuplication between local Media server and remote Master server

Roger_Li1
Level 2
Certified

I have 11 remote site and one central local location, remote site will be backed up locally to disk, since NBU 7 can DeDup at client/source server and it can DeDup on the Media server, so each remote site will have it's own Media server, can remote Media server send DeDup data cross WAN to local Master server without too much overhead on WAN link?  

5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
NB7 has optimized duplication feature so it can send only small piece of data to central location. But I think you should to try PureDisk standalone product to send data over WAN ..

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
As you are putting a media server at each location - which makes me assume that your storage media is also at at that media server?  Meaning you have tape drive there?

So if you are asking if you backup to media at the remote location, but send the meta data to the EMM database on the Master server, will it slow down your network.  Maybe.. depends on how many and how much data you are backing up.  Really depends on your pipes between the media servers and the master server location.

If your backup media is at the same place as your master, again Maybe.
Your first backup with dedup will be a fully blown backup.  It is the backups after that will be smaller.
But you still have to send the meta data to the master EMM database about each files backup to make the db images files.

I don't think anybody can answer this for you as the size of your pipe is the big question.  You need to talk to your Network group and see what they say.  And TEST TEST TEST with one location and Networks monitoring the activity.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

PureDisk Remote Office (standalone) and NB7 both use the same methodologies for replication / duplication.  There is very little overhead (aside from the initial ingest of all the unique blocks) so once you get past that, the WAN overhead will only be as signifigant as your daily (unique) change rate.

Roger_Li1
Level 2
Certified
Thanks to you all who had reply, although you all have valid point and similar to what I thought.
Before Netbackup 7 came out, I would think of PureDisk as well, but since it's integrated into NB 7.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Agreed.  NBU7 has all you need to accomplish replicating your backups using "Optimized Duplication."  

Just note, that NBU7 supports 32TB of deduped data per media server.  If you need to go larger than that, PureDisk should be used, as it can go up to 192TB of deduped data