Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference of NBU setup

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I would like to know what is the difference of the following.

What would be the scenarion if I am going to use the setup below?

Production has active NBU master server and DR site has active master server.

Production has active NBU master server and DR site has standby master server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you have MSDP at both sites, best option is Active master server at both ends with AIR to replicate backups from Production to DR. With Active at both sites there is no time consuming catalog recovery to get the master up and running before you can start restores. You may want to search for blogs/articles on Connect for more about AIR - Auto Image Replication.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

We will use also MSDP for PROD and DR site. 

Marianne
If you have MSDP at both sites, best option is Active master server at both ends with AIR to replicate backups from Production to DR. With Active at both sites there is no time consuming catalog recovery to get the master up and running before you can start restores. You may want to search for blogs/articles on Connect for more about AIR - Auto Image Replication.

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

It means we can use AIR for active/active but we need a separate hostname for primary master and secondary master? Single Domain? or Dual Domain?

How about active standby, we can use the secondary site for catalog recovery and for restoration purposes.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

> How about active standby, we can use the secondary site for catalog recovery and for restoration purposes.

Seems sound to me and other customers do that with no issues.

Marianne

What do you describe as 'active standby'?
What exactly will be active?

In my opinion, active standby means cluster config with catalog mirrored or syncronous replication.
If not clustered, help us understand what 'active standby' means to you.

Where will you restore catalog backup from?
MSDP?
Have you ever tried that?
Are you aware of the additional steps needed to recover catalog from MSDP?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A NetBackup "domain" is not synonomous with an Active Directoty "domain".

When we say NetBackup domain... we mean a master, all of its media servers, and all of its clients.

I assume that you know what an AD domain is.

So, you could have one AD domain across two or more sites, buildings, countries etc... and have your first master server named mastera.mycompany.com and your second master server named masterb.mycompany.com.    i.e. you have two NetBackup domains in the one AD domain.  HTH.

Marianne

I am always amazed when an 'Accredited Partner' with an impressive list of SSE+ and STS certifications and more than 5 years worth of experience ask these type of questions.....