cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Volume Pools Within a Policy

JimDickson
Level 2
I have read quite a few pages about the problem I am having, but still cannot find a way of doing it.
We have a policy for doing a full Oracle backup every Saturday. However, every fourth week we want to keep indefinitely (as opposed to four weeks).
I now have two schedules to run the jobs appropriately and have tried applying an override vol-pool to them.
However, they always use the Default app schedule and always write to the same pool.

Is there a solution to this?

We are using NB 6.0-MP7 on Solaris 10 and Oracle 10.2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JimDickson
Level 2

What I have ended up doing is using the bpdbsbora utility to create the shell script that it would have run based on my template.
If I then run this script, it works - so clearly there is a bug in the code.
Also, the vol-pool override is not passed into the script, so this can never work.

Why letting bpdbsbora create a script from a template and run it should produce different results than saving the script and then running it manually will remain a mystery to me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you don't specify a policy and schedule in RMAN, Netbackup try to find a "best fit". This is you're issue. You're approach with two schedule is the right choice for having multiple retention for a SID.

This is a tech note explain to configure a policy and schedule in RMAN.

How to configure Oracle Recovery Manager in Netbackup
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/261087.htm

JimDickson
Level 2
Thanks Nicolai,

It seems that I need to write a new script from scratch (which seems over complicated) or alter the template wizard.
I have altered the 'Backup policy name' and 'Schedule name' variables in the template wizard, but this hard codes one value into the template - hence this did not fix the problem.

How do I get the template to call a one or other App Schedule
OR
make the volume policy override in the schedule do what I expect it to.

James

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

We have written our Oracle script from scratch and don't use the template wizard. Can't really help you here blush

As a workaround you could create two templates (1 for Saturday, one for the 4Th Saturday) and then call each template from is own policy. If the policy is created with calender based scheduling this might work.

PS: Do do not need different volumes pools for different retentions.

JimDickson
Level 2

What I have ended up doing is using the bpdbsbora utility to create the shell script that it would have run based on my template.
If I then run this script, it works - so clearly there is a bug in the code.
Also, the vol-pool override is not passed into the script, so this can never work.

Why letting bpdbsbora create a script from a template and run it should produce different results than saving the script and then running it manually will remain a mystery to me.

David_McMullin
Level 6

Support told me that Oracle (and SQL) shoudl have only two schedules  - one calls the other.
You should instead set up one POLICY that runs every Saturday, but NOT the 4th week.

Copy that and set it up to run the 4th week and set the retention on that one to infinite.