cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Site

Brandon_Steili
Level 4
Hi All,

We are preparing to do a disaster recover test. Can someone please point me to some documentation (or just a quick list from your memory) of what we would require to setup a replacement server at a failover site and then restore data from tape once this server is up?

That may not have made much sense. Basically we are going with the following scenario -

Assuming our Location has been completely destroyed. We will have catalog and backup tapes from the prior day already at an offsite locaiton. Once we arrive at the recovery site, we will need to setup a server & tape library since this will not be a hot site, then begin the process of restoring user/company data from tape.

What basic requirements does my recovery server need to meet? Does the server name need to be identical, does the library need to be identical or just compatible with the tapes?

Thanks!!!
5 REPLIES 5

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Here's what I know (it's very little mind you.)

-DR box must have the same: System Name, O/S and Netbackup Software Version as the Production system the catalog files are coming from.

-Place all necessary tapes, including catalog tapes, in the library.

-Set up any barcode rules on the DR box, if any were set on the Production box. The DR system may have issues reading the tapes if you don't apply the same rules on the DR system, that's why.

-Inventory library via Netbackup

-run the ‘bprecover’ command from the command line to recover the catalog files

I just don't know what switches you'd need to set on bprecover though and I'd like to know that, so if Mr. Bob Stump or any other user would like to chime in it would be most appreciated.

Brandon_Steili
Level 4
While not complete ... the answer was quite helpful and definitely saved a lot of headache. Thanks!

zippy
Level 6
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Site&objID=&dateRange=last90days&userID=jdunn5&numResults=15

JD

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi James,
How you doin mate, I believe this is the command syntax you lokin out for

./bprecover -l -tpath /dev/rmt/1

will list out the list of path bieng backed up and /dev/rmt/1 is the drive path where the respective catalogue backup media is loaded -----> my guess is using the tpconfig -d we can get the path. needta check

and then

./bprecover -r -tpath /dev/rmt/1

will recover the netbackup catalogue from the media. Looking forward to all your suugesstions in these regard.

Chiao Come Va
Ankur Kumar

zippy
Level 6
Ankur

Its in the link somewhere, I just dont like to type.

I dont mind feeding folks the info, it's healthy to force folks to do a bit of research or they will allays depend on someone else to give them the answers, if you know what I mean mate!

Cinco De Mayo!

JD