cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Serialization (LTO-3)

Jay_Son
Level 5

Do I need to bounce all services on the master server in order to see my newly replaced LTO-3 HPULTRIUM Tape drive? Or do I need to delete / re-create the drive?

NBU 6.5.5

AIX 6.0

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: How to update NetBackup for a replaced tape drive without deleting and re-adding the drive
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34296

***EDIT***
That's if it's applicable to AIX?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Simply delete and recreate the drive, no need to bounce services.

Jay_Son
Level 5

Seems the Serial Number changed on its own. Not sure how. But, I can tell you that I did not delete and re-create the drive info. Any ideas?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

to get AIX to see the new drive and its serial number....

if it is replacing a drive remove the old rmt

rmdev -dl rmt#

then run cfgmgr and the new drive should show up in the first avail rmt#

then best to check NB and see what serial number it sees for that drive - if not the same then remove the drive from NB and add it back in so it shows the new serial number.

I have had issues where rmt1 was replaced then the reconditioned the drive and that drive came back as a replacement for rmt2 - and between aix and NB it thought it was seeing the same drive twice.  So best to remove and re-add with aix.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: How to update NetBackup for a replaced tape drive without deleting and re-adding the drive
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34296

***EDIT***
That's if it's applicable to AIX?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I always follow that -

but when it says replace it I do the rmdev and cfgmgr on aix as well then continue with the doc to update NBU.

Chuck_Stevens_2
Level 3

I find it easier to just delete and readd the drive.  Had to do it several times over the past year.