cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication from wrong media server

Stanleyj
Level 6

I have two 5200 appliances set as media servers in my environment.  Just recently i moved one of them to our offisite dr location.  The one appliance still in our datacenter has my 3 tape libraries attached.

Since the move of the second appliance i have started noticeing that my nightly tape duplications are running very slow!!  I realized on one of the jobs that it shows the media server as my offisite appliance. 

I am using SLP's for controlling my backups and duplications and i am running version 7.1 of Netbackup and vers 2.1 on the appliances.

Does anyone know what settings in need to change to only allow the duplications for tape to come from my onsite appliance?

6 REPLIES 6

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

Backup    Local5200-StorageUnit
   Duplication    DR5200-StorageUnit
      Duplication DR5200-TapeStorageUnit

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
When u moved your box your slps backup jobs still look for the source to duplicate, just configure the media server u moved as the alternate reader of the slp, but if you have a sug with both medias under the slp you will need to split in two slps to use each media server as source and make each the altreader of each slp.

Stanleyj
Level 6

I didnt see your post above.  Yes my SLP's look very similar to what you have listed except my tape library is connected to my local 5200.  So it actually looks like this.

Backup  Local5200-StorageUnit

Duplication  dr5200-StorageUnit

Duplication local5200-TapeStorageUnit

Omar im not sure how to make the other media server an alternate reader.  I only have one SUG and its for the tapes.  I have the robots listed in the group and under the not in group section are my two appliances (even the one that has the tapes directly attached).  I have Prioritized selected for SU selection.

If i change my SLP's to look like this will it solve my issue?

Backup Local5200-StorageUnit

Duplication local5200-TapeStorageUnit 

Duplication dr5200-StorageUnit

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

Backup Local5200-StorageUnit

Duplication local5200-TapeStorageUnitGroup

Duplication dr5200-StorageUnit

The other thing to confirm, is that your Local5200-StorageUnit is using the correct disk pool.  That duplication step should also have the Alternative Media Server for duplication set to the Local5200

Stanleyj
Level 6

Kevin i think i understand what your saying.

If i set my slp up like you have suggested then:

Backup local5200-Storageunit (alternate read server is set to Local5200)

Duplication to local5200-tapestorageunitgroup

Duplication to dr5200-storageunit (alternate read server set to Local5200)

I have confirmed that each appliance is pointing to there own disk pool.

I really want to thank you guys for working with me on this. 

Stanleyj
Level 6

Just a thought that might help.  I only have A SUG for my tape library.  I do not have one for my appliances.  They are listed under storage units only.

I tried creating a test SLP like i listed above and the tape backups still are comming from the offsite appliance.  I confirmed this by watching a bandwith monitor at the dr site and just as soon as the duplication job kicked off the bandwidth jumped to %100 utiliztion.

Attached is a screen shot of the details on the duplication job.

nbuappl01 is my onsite appliance (media server)

LCM_tape_stus_nbuappl01 - tape library directly connected via fiber.

nbuappl02 is my offsite appliance (media Server)

P190fil04  - windows server 2008 R2 master serve