cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication isn't using all the tape drives available.

Cheech381
Level 2

Hi there!

1st post so not sure what's required of me but I have a problem with Netbackup.

We are running NBV7.0.1  on Linux media and master servers but for some reason duplication isn't using 2 drives(of 2) on 1 on the media servers.

I've checked NB or OS reservations, tpconfig and vmoprcmd looks OK.  The error message from the queue jobs state that the drives on the media server are in use when clearly they are not. Jobs are just queuing. Any pointers? Apparently they were working previously but not in the last 2weeks.

5 REPLIES 5

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Are you running manual duplications or using Vault for duplications?

Check the settings in the storage unit configuration... you're allowing both drives to be used?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There might be unreleased reservations on the media server that are locking the drives. Use nbrbutil to check if there are any mds allocation when no jobs are active. This should show no allocations. If there are, use -releaseMDS to fix the issue.

See the doc for more details http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46807

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - we need to know more about your duplication job - Vault, manual duplication, SLP, DSSU... ??

watsons
Level 6

If there are multiple dup jobs, this "max. job per client" setting, if set to lower value, may also cause jobs to queue.

Anyway, more info needed as per the rest had requested. 

mholly
Level 2

I have a similiar problem. Running NetBackup Enterprise 7.0.1 on Windows Server 2008. Duplication jobs which are part of a SLP, are NOT using all the tape drives on one of the media servers. There are 2 LTO5 drives on the server and the duplication jobs will use one or the other but not both at the same time. The other media server has 4 LTO4 drives and they are all used at the same time. Note: I don't want to reserve one of the drives for restores. Any help would be appreciated!