cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMM DOWN

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
We always get database server (EMM) is  down message on netbackup after upgrade from NBU5.0 to 6.0. We cant even run the vmoprcmd command. It will go back to normal after we restart the master server. But the problem willhappend again after a while. the problem happen again this morning. I have restarted the NBU services on the Master server and EMM databases was up. We managed to run tpconfig & vmorpcmd commands to view drive status. However, once I initiate test backup job, the EMM database turn back to down.

Master Server OS: Windows 2003
NBU Version 6.0

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It's good idea to open a case in support.

There are too much options why EMM can crash especially after the upgrade

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
the case already opened with techsupport. while waiting for techsupport feedback, need more other suggestion to resolved.

Mouse

%)

Ok, give us more details.

Have you run NBCC checks before your upgrade, what was the nbpushdata output after the upgrade, was it clear from errors?

Kingkill
Level 4
Partner Certified
run NBCC before upgrade, NBpushdata all Clear. backup all success at the 1st day after upgrade. then the problem happen intermitent after that.

Mouse
Ok, give us an evidence, how your system reports about it, what is the exact error string in the NBU logs and Event Viewer?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have seen some scenarios (back in 6.5GA)  where Netbackup stopped responding if the catalog backup wasn't enabled. Check you have disk free for the EMM database and associated database archive file.

dltsc
Level 4
Partner
Kingkill,

Are there any errors relating to NetBackup in the Application Log of event viewer on the master server?

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There are a number of known issues that are related to the EMM database.  The first question I would ask is does the nbemm daemon/service stop as soon as it's started or does it stay running for a while and then stop?

If this is a Windows system check the following:

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294897.htm

If your EMM database is larger than 2GB then you should check this link out:

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285604.htm

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
What is your MP version. We faced similar issue just after the upgrade to 6.0 MP6. Symantec provided us with EEB.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Have you noticed catalog backup running during the time you have issue? With 6.0 hot catalog backup was introduced. If you are performing  5.x style of catalog backup in 6.0 then you will have this issue because NetBackup shuts down EMM database to perfrom the backup.

This was the most common reason for EMM not responding after 6.0 launch.

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Try the below command just to check if you EMM DB is healthy

<install_path>\veritas\db\bin\nbdb_ping

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284865.htm