cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMM database

Stumpr2
Level 6
Is there a health check that can be run against the EMM database. Mine has VERY slow response rate. It takes hours to do a robot inventory or to bring up the media server properties pane.I think there may be something wrong in the database.
15 REPLIES 15

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
You are probably already doing this but, just in case or if anyone else is doing this. I was having all kinds of problems with my emm database. I basically shutdown netbackup and pbx every other day. I switched from cold catalog backups to hot catalog backps and my problems have gone away.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277787
How to configure Hot Catalog Backups with Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you seen this?

$ sudo nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version:6.0MP3(20060530)
The function returned the following failure status:
database server is down (23)
Command did not complete successfully.

NOTE: there was an active cold catalog backup running when I entered this command. This may be NORML?

YES, I just resubmitted the command after the cold db backup finished, and it seems to be running and checking each server that EMM knows about.

OK the command finished aND IT HAD A LOT OF ERRORS:
One or more hosts had mismatched EMM Servers.
There were problems getting information on one or more hosts.
The consistency check either failed or was incomplete.
Command did not complete successfully.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I did not know about that command but I did get 23 errors and also 195 errors. I seemed to get the 195 errors quite often. Once I got a 195 I would loose connectivity to the emm database and could not get it back without stopping and restarting netbackup.

It was fixed after spending a couple hours on the phone with a tech in Australia. He highly recommended using hot over cold. The one advantage with the hot is everytime it runs you get an email which is basically a log dump of the database making it much easier to do a recovery if there is some kind of DR situation. I mail mystelf here plus a remote email address with is also recomended. I no longer do any cold backups. I just setup the catalog policy to mach my regular policies. weekly incrementals, weekend full, monthly archive offsite.

Bob I really think if you convert to hot backups of the catalog some of your problems will go away. With the cold catalog the emm database is locked during the catalog backup. I think if a lot of commands are run during the time the database is locked it can end up loosing itself. I was having daily problems, I have gone over a week now without a hitch. I am elated. 6 does not seem so bad now.

my $.03

DavidParker
Level 6
Wow, great post Dennis.

So, are you changing over to the Darkside on us? Becoming a 6.0 fan?

Stumpr2
Level 6
I took your advise in the first reply that I marked as helpful.
I have disabled cold catalog backups. Man, I'm still learning this product.

Now I gotta figure out how to repair this messed up database :(

Server Type Host Version Host Name EMM Server
first problem:
MEDIA UNKNOWN RELEASE (0) mickey master

second problem
UNKNOWN RELEASE (0) acsls
*Failed to get the configuration for the host "acsls". server not allowed access(46)

third problem
UNKNOWN RELEASE (0) minnie
*Failed to get the configuration for the host "minnie". client hostname could not be found(48)

fourth problem
6.0 donald
*Failed to get the configuration for the host "donald". cannot connect on socket(25)

Curtis_Parker
Not applicable
Bob,
Call symantec and open up a call.
They will be glad to help you.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Is Curtis related to you, Dave? Best response on this whole forum by far. =)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I am not so sure that I would call myself a fan of 6.0, not yet anyway. This fix did make me not hate it so much. The one item that bothers me is it took a while to get a tech to state this as the problem. I guess that is the great thing about the Aussie's. They just cut to the chase, and sometimes they are not politcally correct, but I am almost always happy with the answer. The Aussie's are no frill all thrill.

Bob, I take it you did the obvious and shutdown netbackup made sure all processes were stopped then shutdown pbx removed pempersist then started pbx and then netbackup?

Stumpr2
Level 6
yep,

Curtis is a co-worker that I introduced to the forum. He is gonna be real busy when I change jobs :)

He is working with me on this case that i have opened up a call to symantec.
I'll give an update next week. Have a good weekend!

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
hmm many people probably think that cold backup is much safe than hot, consistent etc.. It's time to use hot backup in nb :)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Definitely

Fred2010
Level 6
Heh:

mickey, minnie & donald!

Maybe Walt could've helped you with the problems on your EMM DB :)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Seriously though:

If you find a solution, I'd love to hear it!

Stumpr2
Level 6
"The story you are about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent." from Dragnet on U.S. telly and radio

hence mickey, minnie, donald, etc....

Troy_Schuler_2
Level 4
I have discovered only one problem with Hot backups, DR.

In a DR you don't want to recover your Tape Devices. While recovering a Cold Catalog Backup you can pick and choose the components to recover or not to recover. If you recover a Hot Catalog backup you have to use vmglob afterwards to remove your old tape devices. Then you have to re-discover your new tape devices.

Not a huge deal, but we spent a long time with tech support getting it sorted out. I was told by my Tech Sales rep that if I didn't want to recover our tape devices to use the bprecover -wizard and when it asks if you want to recover the whole catalog say "N". This wound up leaving the EMM DB in an inconsistent and unusable state. Even though we could see all the media and the new tape devices the whole installation was unusable.Message was edited by:
Troy Schuler

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
This is a good thing to know. Not bad in my situation but if someone had a ton of stuff hooked up re-adding everything could be a pain.