cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 14 on all Incremental backups

SC_Ben
Not applicable
Hello,

I have been fighting with a client that has been getting Error 14 on all of it's incremental backups.  The full backups run fine.  We are running Netbackup 5.1 MP4 on the Master/Media servers and the Client.  The server was backing up fine untill the customer migrated a lot of data to the client and after that, the Error 14's started happening on only the incrmental backups.  Looking at the logs, it is showing "Error 71513 Backup could not write KEEPALIVE to COMM_SOCK".  Any clues?  I am not able to run check disk on the volume with all the data.  I have run Defrags in the past to no help.

Thank you,

Ben

2 REPLIES 2

1PSS
Level 3
This has happened in the environment where I work in in the past.  I believe our issue was , with so much data, the job was timing out while reading the archive bits.. therefore the full runs fine everytime. 

I believe in these cases we tried streaming the job by drive,  to determine if the issue lay someplace in particular. .. We also tried upping the client read timeouts, communication buffer size, and VSP Busy file timeout in client properties...

Also a fix we implemented occasionally...

dropped connections due to a timeout, which can occur quite often under congested networks. It is possible to increase the likelihood of keeping client connections alive in the event of temporary congestion by increasing the value of the TcpMaxDataRetransmissions parameter in the server registry.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value , and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: TcpMaxDataRetransmissions

Data Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 6

4. Quit Registry Editor and reboot for the changes to take effect.

The default value for this is 5 and should gradually be increased to 10.

Well, hopefully something here may help or lead you in the right direction.  Good luck

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Nice tip 1PSS.

Sec_Ben u can also try to follow the status 14 error guide: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277558.htm

Hope this helps.