cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 85 on media import phase 1

alazanowski
Level 5
Hi Everyone,

I don't see many details out there in google about this, and definitely nothing really useful in the admin guides.

I am going back and re-importing our tapes that came from our historical retention offsite (they use the same tapes that we have today) but probabbly were on version 5.1. Right now we are on 6.5.3 and in order to be able to restore quicker we are hoping to re-import everything in advance of a DR situation and keep the catalog data up to date (the person before me didn't import the catalog and no-one knows where it is.)

So about 50% of the tapes are importing correctly, but i am seeing these two situations:

1) Outright 85 media read error, Error bptm(pid=1981) read error on media id (eachtypeofmediawehadhere), drive index 7, reading header block, I/O error.

2) Showing a "successful" import but at the end showing: error bptm(pid=2899) ioctl (MTFSF) failed on media id (eachtypeofmediawehadhere), drive index 7, I/O error (tmisc.c.1564)

As an fyi, the drive index does change so its not a particular tape drive having issues.

I don't want to have to turn and tell everyone "well... you're old data is only half there" if i can help it.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

netbackup_rooki
Level 4
Certified

i hope this helps...this document talks about same issue on phase 2

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278934.htm

alazanowski
Level 5
I need a bump on this, the documentation is only for phase 2 and it doesn't seem to apply in our circumstances. We haven't changed any of the size of headers or changed tape drives, etc.

Anyone else have some ideas? Its unfortunate to lose all this data.

Amit_Karia
Level 6
I think there is prolem with media (i.e Physical Media) try to eject and invenotry the assoicated robot .. and reimport still if it does not work..

if there are other images on this media try to do a test restore.. from that media.. if it gives the same error means ..problem with media

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Also make sure that media type is the same type as your drive type.. can you send output from following command

bpmedialist -m <mediaid>

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi

Can you run a media contents report for this media?
Is this the same media server which wrote the backup ?

Rajeev

alazanowski
Level 5
This isnt a phase 2, so theres no way to say "1 image attempt to restore" versus another. This is simply performing the first import to say "there are images on this media." While the media server doesnt exist anymore, it was a windows server that wrote it, and we haven't done any modifications to it. Whats weird is that other ones in the group worked just fine. Just somehow 20% have something producing an 85. I'm not sure why something would be physically wrong with the media since there hasnt been any dropping, they were stored in the same manner as the rest, and in proper humidity and temperature locations.