I have a request from user to restore data from LTO4 tape cartridge that already expired and the only drive we have is LTO6. We all know LTO6 drive still can read LTO4 tape, but in import phase 2 none of them is success. I have serach thorough the forum, but only have for backup process not import process.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Did you follow this tech note:
Step-by-step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.
1) Search the bptm log:
findstr /i "io_init buff err" mmddyy.log
2) Could it be that the LTO4 media were written with 256KB buffers, but that your system is using 64KB buffers - in which case you won't be able to read the media. But I don't think that this is relevant because NetBackup is able to see/read enough to detect policy names.
3) Doesn't look like an encryption problem, because NetBackup is able to detect the policy name of images on the media.
4) Is your device a Quantum DXi? Or, is your NetBackup version less than v188.8.131.52? If so, maybe this is relevant:
1. i will update you soon.
2. how i can see the buffers size configuration? the policy is in old netbackup environment, should i make it in the new one?
3. no encryption option enabled
4. No, the old one is HP LTO4 + Netbackup 7.1 dan the new one is Quantum LTO6 + Netbackup 7.6
Ok - I followed the link that I posted, and the Etrack number Etrack 2387423 lead me to this:
...which looks like some of NetBackup v7.1 versions had problems writing NDMP data to tapes - so it could be that the original backup/save to LTO4 tape failed.
Are you importing media that was managed by a different/previous NetBackup domain (i.e. a different or older master) - if so, then do you have the old master and therefore it's old catalog to hand (maybe you virtualised the old master for reference purposes) - if so, does the old catalog still know about this old LTO4 media - if so, does it think that the images you are after are actually on the tape. (Here's a tip - when decommissioning old NetBackup environments - *allways* take a full image list before finally powering it down - this way you have something that you can search or script a report from). So, do you at least have a listing of images from the old environment that wrote the media that you are trying to import? What I'm trying to do is see if you can somehow confirm that the old NDMP backup on the old LTO4 was absolutely and definitely successful?
Well this one maybe my mistake not backing up catalog for the last time. There is nothing to be found in old server, because the backup image is already expired. So, are you suggest me to do import tape in old environment? i think its unlikely (lto4 tape drive was broken).
I think the backup was fine when in old server, so i think it is not related to your link.
As Marianne suggests NDMP protocol can behave differantly between Hardware suppliers. So restore to same type of hardware from which backup came.
I'm doing import on the different NDMP server but it still same Vendor. I still confuse, does tape import process need connection to NDMP Server? As i know tape import only involve tape media and Media server/EMM.