cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics Question

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
In the event someone opens a case with Symantec and they provide a binary to fix an issue, is it ok to provide that to this community should others be seeing the same issue?

I personally think it would be helpful and would avoid people from needing to wait days for new binaries when the fix is available. On the other hand, Symantec does not like these things to be floating around....

Thoughts,,,Concerns????
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
Chad,
I agree with you that it could be helpful and relieve waiting periods for people.
However, I think if you allowed something like this to run rampant then you'd eventually see all sorts of problems caused by it. How difficult would it make support if people had all these wacky, custom versions of binaries that they 'got from some site on the Internets'?

Plus, it would be hard to know if some file someone was sharing would actually solve your problem; there are so many different combinations of system configurations out there!

$0.02

DP

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I do not have a problem with it. I think the key is "in good faith". It is the proverbial slippery slope though. If it fixes a problem and there is no harm, then ok. I also fully understand why Symantec does not want this to happen. Their code can get into the competitors hands, not good. Also it is potentially possible to unknowingly provide the wrong fix and complicate matters.

Stumpr2
Level 6
This is what I have done in the past.

While listening to different forums I have had the opportunity to hear of problems that can be fixed with a new binary. The new binary is scheduled to go into the next MP or release. If I have experienced the same proiblem as others express in the forums then I call symantec tech support and request the binary. It is best to do it this way because it leaves a record of the need of the binary to be promptly released. Also it helps to reduce "gotchas" when installing the next MP. For instance. Please read the installation procedures for MP4. It warns about removing pre-MP4 binaries prior to installing MP4. I just read this today.

The pre-release binaries can cause other problems. My suggestion is to get ALL binaries directly from symantec.

=============================
III. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
=============================

================================================================================
If you have a beta version of this pack currently installed, you MUST uninstall
that pack before beginning installation of this pack.
================================================================================Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
So here is what I will do in the future....put it out there but make the suggestion that you go to symantec and ask for the new binary....