Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Exchange 2007 Status 20 after upgrade to 7.5.0.6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have seen these two threads:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7504-exchange-2007-grt-backup-failed-status...
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7504-exchange-2003-grt-backup-failed-status...

And it appears that at 7.5.0.4 a new piece of code was introduced to prevent Exchange GRT backups working unless it was a snapshot was used due to performance issues with de-duplication.

Yesterday I upgraded a site from 7.1 to 7.5.0.6 after which their Exchnage 2007 backups started to fail with the Status 20 and the error in the detail of the job is as follows:

27/06/2013 16:00:26 - Error bpbrm(pid=5452) Exchange streaming granular backups are not supported to a storage unit with deduplication. Enable snapshot backups in the policy for granular operations
27/06/2013 16:00:28 - Info bpbkar32(pid=0) done. status: 20: invalid command parameter      
27/06/2013 16:00:28 - end writing
invalid command parameter(20)

The thing is that we do not use deduplication (and are not licensed for it on this site) - all storage units are using Advanced Disk

Dedicated Master and two Media Servers are all Windows 2008 R2 - all at 7.5.0.6

Client was at 7.1.0.3 but same failure ocurred after upgrade to 7.5.0.6

The backups do work now that they are set as snapshot backups using VSS (set to use passive node)

So I am wondering if this really is a de-duplication restiriction or an overall restriction - or if it is a bug!

Anyone come across this or any Symantec engineers out there able to help?

I haven't logged a case as yet but happy to do so if it is not already a known issue or requirement

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - rasied a case for this one and the word is that GRT backups for Exchange 2007 are only supported for Snapshot backups regardless of the disk storage unsed (though I get the feeling that they are OK on basic disk but cannot test that)

The wording of the error is incorrect and should just say "Exchange streaming granular backups are not supported. Enable snapshot backups in the policy for granular operations"

This is a known issue and will be resolved in 7.6

Hope this helps others that come across the same issue after a NetBackup upgrade

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - rasied a case for this one and the word is that GRT backups for Exchange 2007 are only supported for Snapshot backups regardless of the disk storage unsed (though I get the feeling that they are OK on basic disk but cannot test that)

The wording of the error is incorrect and should just say "Exchange streaming granular backups are not supported. Enable snapshot backups in the policy for granular operations"

This is a known issue and will be resolved in 7.6

Hope this helps others that come across the same issue after a NetBackup upgrade

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for sharing.

I have marked your post as solution.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Thanks Marianne