cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Restore - Status 5

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Hi all,

I'm trying to restore to an Exchange recovery storage group that has been created and defined, but am getting a Status 5.  Environment = Windows, Netbackup 6.0MP5, Exchange 2003.  Below is the exact error from client's tar log:

TAR - Microsoft Information Store:\EVS01-NSW-SG2\Log files_1198832514
ERR - beds_ese_access::V_OpenForWrite():FS_CreateObj() Failed! (0xFFFFFE30:A communications failure has occurred.
ERR - unable to create object for restore: Microsoft Information Store:\EVS01-NSW-SG2\Log files_1198832514 (BEDS 0xFFFFFE30: A communications failure has occurred.
INF - TAR EXITING WITH STATUS = 5

Notes:
1. initiated from the master server
2. I am restoring "everything to its original location"
3. restore is from a single full backup (no incremental involved whatsoever)
4. there is no "communications failures" that I'm aware of because backups are working fine.

Thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Error 5 is often due to a communications problem within the NBU setup. Is the destination client a secondary client built for the purposes of Exchange restores? If so, check the list of servers on the destination client's config is correct, ensure the destination client is correct in the Backup, Archive & Restore GUI's 'Specify Netbackup Machines and Policy Type', and use the bpclntcmd command for DNS resolution - check the Troubleshooting guide on how to use that if you haven't done so before.

Bill_Liston
Level 4
Also, the restore needs to be initiated from the client.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
you don't give a lot of info.
the restore does NOT need to start from the client,
however
on the exchange server you must make your recovery storage group, and then amek the mailstore in it for whichever mail store you are restoring to.

then do your restore but tell it to go to the path of the recovery storage group NOT the original mailstore.
you must also tell it where to put the logs.

when  you say to restore to it original location - you are NOT useing the recovery storage group.

Bill_Liston
Level 4
Here is the doc I've used to restore my exchange server using the recovery storage group. I also have a good doc for recovering an exchange server using the disaster recovery switch if you're going that way.
Hope it helps.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281259.htm

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Sadly, I have followed http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281259.htm to a tee.  I've tried restoring "everything to its original location" and "everything to a different location (maintaining existing structure)".  Further, I've verified the recovery storage group is created and defined exactly (including case sensitivity).

Any other thoughts?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
just to be sure

when you do the restore.

first you have created the recovery mail store area AND created the mail store under it for the group you are restoring like SG4-3 (and it is unmounted, and it was set up with the option to be overwriten by a restore)

then when you do the restore to a different location (mainitaing existing structure) you are only change the storage group.

by default it would come up with
Microsoft Inforamtion Store:\Storage Group 2\
and you change it to
Microsoft Information Store:\Recovery Storage Group\

iyou also have to tell it on the second tab where to put the Log files like in C:\temp or someplace that thas room you should have set this up when you make the recover storage group.

if you are doing all this then I would double check the creation of the recovery storage group.

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Hi all,

Problem solved......

Log Files:  
Review the tar log file on the Exchange server for errors similar to the following:

BEDS 0xFFFFFE30: A communications failure has occurred
BEDS 0xFFFFFE30: Unable to create object for restore

Resolution:
When recovering an Exchange mailbox store to a recovery storage group (RSG), the restore fails with a NetBackup Status Code 185 (tar did not find all the files to be restored).  Further review of the NetBackup environment shows the following versions of the NetBackup software installed on the following computers:

NetBackup 5.1

Master Server: NetBackup 5.1 MP6 or later.

Exchange Server: NetBackup 5.1 MP5 or earlier.

NetBackup 6.0

Master Server: NetBackup 6.0 MP4 or later.

Exchange Server: NetBackup 6.0 MP3 or earlier

By upgrading the Exchange client to the same MP as the master server, the restore finishes successfully.  

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

I had the similar problem the Exchange 2003 was on version 6.0 and the Master server was on 6.5.

I just upgraded the version on Exchange to 6.5 and started the restore on RSG with the method provided in this link http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281259.htm

It worked fine.

Thank you.

Abby