cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Former mediaserver still has EMM registry keys

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

Hi

We have two servers (Windows 2008R2, nb client 7.6.0.1) and they used to be mediaservers.
Mediaserver software was uninstalled, servers rebooted and ordinary client software was installed.
Everything is working fine, except that both these servers windows eventlog is filled up with errors.
"EMM interface initialization failed, status = 333"

When I asked for the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup"
I found this key ""EMMSERVER"="masterservername" in "CurrentVersion\Config"

Simply removing the servername or the entire key does not stop the eventlog from piling up with error messages.
Does anyone know which registry keys that also have to be deleted ?

Regards

Per 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

Hi again

We edited the registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion]
"Install Type"="NetBackup Media Server"  (Changed to "Netbackup Client")
"MediaServerInstalled"=dword:00000001    (Changed dword to 0)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]
"EMMSERVER"="*_masterserver_name_*"  (ERASED THIS WHOLE KEY)

This did not change anything.

I got access to the server and compared it to a normal client installation and found many Netbackup services that should not be there.

Normal client, services running:

Netbackup Client Service  Automatic
Netbackup Dedupllication Multi-Threaded Agent  Automatic
Netbackup Discovery Framework  Automatic
Netbackup Legacy Client Service  Automatic
Netbackup Legacy Network Service  Automatic
Symantec Private Branch Eschange  Automatic

Former Media Server, services running:
NetBackup Client Service
NetBackup CloudStore Service Container
NetBackup Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent
NetBackup Device Manager
NetBackup Discovery Framework
NetBackup Legacy Client Service
NetBackup Legacy Network Service
NetBackup Service Layer
NetBackup Service Monitor
NetBackup Volume Manager

Solution:
We issued bpdown and set a lot of the extra services to manual and Volume Manager to disabled and then ran bpup, now all errors in the eventlog has stopped.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It seems that uninstallation wasn't clean. Are they completely clean up from the master server's point of view? Did you use nbdecommission to  remove them?

I would uninstall again, then make sure everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NETBACKUP is gone.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

To decommision a media server you need to use the nbdecommission tool.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO104937

Just un-installing the software will not remove the ressources from the master server. 

Run nbdecommission -list_ref -oldserver  {hostname} and post the result.

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

Uninstall again at this point is not a likely option, these two (clusternodes) are very tricky to set up. A lot of effort has been made to make the backup run smoothly (backup every two hours of 12TB, +14 million files)  and I don't want to go there again. As far as I can tell there are no traces of them ever beeing mediaservers when I look at the masterserver. My quess is that a registry key and/or a config file, still remaining on the clients, wants to register with the masterservers EMM. I just have to find it.

/Per

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

Output:

N:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdecommission -list_ref -oldserver hub01-fsn02

unable to obtain machine record for hub01-fsn02, machine type "media server" or
"NDMP host"

Also, the masterserver does not have a problem with these two former mediaservers.
It's only the the two servers (now clients) hub-fsn01 and hub01-fsn02 who start filling
up their eventlogs when the netbackup client is started.

/Per

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

does a  nbemmcmd -listhosts on the master server output the two cluster nodes ?

RiaanBadenhorst

Which service is generating the event? Can you post it?

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

I ran the command earlier and the nodes do not show.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Here's a thing I've noticed about the Windows un-installer process... When we uninstall a maintenance update patch kit then the Add Romve Programs Wizard (appwiz.cpl) does not auto refresh and show the base or patch kit underneath - therefore it is very easy to think that one has fully un-installed NetBackup - and this is a Wndows issue - not a NetBackup issue. . So, to be sure one has completely removed NetBackup - one has to repeat the steps of uninstall, then press F5 to refresh, and keep repeating until NetBackup is completely uninstalled. Then reboot so that Windows can process any pending system file removals. . I would try the whole un-install process again.

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

From hub01-fsn02 eventlog:

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  NetBackup

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers]  0

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2015-08-27T05:53:11.000000000Z

EventRecordID 820034

Channel Application

Computer hub01-fsn02

Security

- EventData

EMM interface initialization failed, status = 333 

RiaanBadenhorst

Thanks, but not much detail in there. Question, you say this is a clustered server. Have you perhaps tried to configure SAN Client on these nodes? That might require it to have some communication with the EMM.

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

Before Netbackup Accellerator functionality these two nodes were installed as seperate mediaservers, not as a cluster. The only reason for this was to be able to take the backups (Many TB's and millions of files) through the SAN directly to shared storage. To my knowledge they have never been configured as SAN clients.

RiaanBadenhorst

Can you attach the output of

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

and the hostnames of the cluster nodes.

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

The command lists masterserver, all mediaservers (that should be there), vcenters, opscenter, hitachi HNAS ndmp hosts, but  not the two old mediaservers hub01-fsn01 and hub01-fsn02. Also, the eventlogs on our masterserver do not contain any errors regarding EMM or the two old mediaservers. As I see it, something has to be removed from the the two clients, in the registry or the loading of dll's or most likely both.

/Per

Per_Holmgren
Level 4

So I asked for the complete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS" key and found these irregular entries for an ordinary client.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion]
"Install Type"="NetBackup Media Server"
"MediaServerInstalled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]
"EMMSERVER"="*_masterserver_name_*"

sdo

What does this show on the clients:

> wmic product list brief | findstr /i "netbackup symantec veritas"

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

OK - So it look like there are still registry keys indication servers is a media server.

But can Please see output from command : nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

If master server still thinks the two servers are media servers it will continue to communicate with them.

sdo

Over the years I've found the registry value "Install Type" to be an accurate indicator.  So, it really does look like the un-install failed, or was incomplete.

RiaanBadenhorst

SDO might want to punch me but I'd say, backup those keys and then try put that DWORD to 0. Also, blank out the EMM SERVER entry.

Better even, compare with a working client and update accordingly.

Of course this is only done because you can't afford to uninstall. Not becuase we like messing with the registry.

sdo

not my server... not my bag... punch away...

...but then again, Riaan you're usually right on the button - so I cannot image that those registry mods are going to impact clustering or any other product other than NetBackup.

I still want to see what the wmic product list brief shows...