cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move the tape of an old library to a new library as part of a hardware change?

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

How do I move the tape of an old library to a new library as part of a hardware change?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, use the same policies. Just select the new Storage Unit in all policies.

You can put your new tapes in existing pools. Pools are defined by their usage, not by location.

As I've said in my previous post - get help. You seem to remember something new every day.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Eject all tapes from old library.

Remove library

Add new library

Inject all tapes.

(if you have already changed libraries and physically removed the tapes without doing the eject - just set all tapes to standalone status - right click tapes choose move set to standalone - then do an inventory of the new library)

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Independent of the slots or position they occupy in the new library?, Should I move it to standalone tape? before switching to the new library

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You should do a proper eject of all tapes from the current library - and take the out of the map.

Then when put them in the MAP of the new library and do an inject. - the tapes will now register as being in the new library.  The library will pick the slots (it takes care of all that) when you do the eject NB is updated as to the tapes being in standalone (not in a library) when you do the inject on the new library NB will be updated as to the slots the tapes are located in within the new library.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

What you are trying to tell me that when you eject the old one library allocates a standalone netbackup?

Marianne
Level 6

STANDALONE means non-robotic.

So, you logically and physically need to move all media to non-robotic/standalone.

Then, you can simply open the robot door of the new library and put the tapes into any slot. (Careful not to put tapes in robot maintenance slots - your hardware vendor will point them out to you.)

Once the new devices (robot and tape drives) have been added in NBU, run an INVENTORY. This will logically 'move' the tapes from standalone to robotic and update the NBU config with the slot numbers.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

step by step would be
1.-move tapes from the old library to standalone (That would logically)
2 .- remove the old library of netbackup.
3.-Configure the new library in netbackup
4 .- put the tapes in the new library (That would be physically)
5. an inventory with the option to update the EMM
can correct me if this is the right way?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

That is correct

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. Those steps are in essence the same as mentioned by JH in her first reply...

Please remember to delete (old) tape drives as well as library.

Also verify that old media can be used in new tape drives.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Marianne is a great observation because the drive is LTO3 and new library is LTO5. Should there be any additional procedure that can recognize the drive netbackup LTO5?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You say in the old lib the drives were LTO3 so your tape drives would have been some form of HCART#  and your tapes would have been of the same HCART

and now your new drives are LTO5 but you are still going to use the LTO3 tapes?

A LTO5 drive can READ a LTO3 tape but cannot write to a LTO3 tape.

So I hope you have purchased new LTO5 tapes.

So looking at the current lib and tapes - what HCART# are your LTO3 tapes and drives.

You will want to set at least 1 of the LTO5 drives to the same HCART# so you can do restores -

But you will not be able to backup to the LTO3 tapes.

So you need to buy new LTO5 tapes, and set the LTO5 tapes and drives to a different HCART# so the lib will only load LTO5 tapes into a drive set for LTO5 (leaving one drive at the LTO3 HCART# so you can do the restores - once all the LTO3 tapes have expired you can change that one drive to match the others.

Marianne will most likely be able to explain it better than me but hope that you understand what I am trying to say.

You will have to create 1 storage unit for that LTO3 'like' drive.  While make the other storage units for the LTO5 drives and making sure your policies use the correct storage units.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I understand what you mention, but the new library if LTO4 there would be no problem because LTO4 can read and write in a LTO3 tape?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

LTO4 drives and read and write to LTO4 tapes.

But you would have to make sure you know what your current HCART setting is for the LTO3 tapes and make sure they go back in with the same and the new LTO4 drives are setup to the same HCART setting.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

understand in the case should be two HCART LTO5 # different one for each type of technology, but this means that logically netbackup storage unit would be two for each type of drive (LTO3 and LTO5), but this means they must be two robotic libraries connected to the netbackup?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

When you setup your tape drives in NB

In the setup you say what you want them to be ( the wizard will set them all to the same thing but you can go change that)

So you set them up as 1/2" Hcart or 1/2" Hcart2 or 1/2" hcart3  they can all be in the same library - you just define what each one is.  So do the setup and then just go and change 1 of them to be your Hcart# of the lto3's leaving the others to be the HCART# for the LTO4's or 5's.

Then once you have the drives setup you setup your storage units.  In your storage unit you also say what HCART they should be  - the S.U. HCART# says what type of drives it will pick and will only pick drives of the same HCART#.

Marianne
Level 6

I know that I have mentioned new tape drives, but I believe the original question has been answered.

If I can summarize tape drive and media compatibility -

LTO4 drive can read and write LTO3 tapes, but in NBU they will have different densities if you use the defaults:
LTO3 = hcart3
LTO4 = hcart

If you want to reuse LTO3 tapes on LTO4 drives, you will HAVE TO configure them in NBU with SAME density. NBU will not use media if tape and drive densities are different (even if it is supported at hardware level).

So, if your current media is configured as hcart3, then configure the new LTO4 drives and the storage unit as hcart3.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

That is to say I look like this set the LTO 3 drive robotic library in the former and use the same HCART to configure the new drive or LTO5 LTO4 Drive? so you can read the old tapes

Marianne
Level 6
Not sure I understand your last post... We have tried to answer your original question about moving media to new robot. The media and drive compatibility is a separate issue, but we've tried to answer that as we'll... If you have LTO5 drives, JH has explained what you need to do. The NBU default for LTO5 is hcart2. So, if your old media is hcart3, you will need to change one of the drives to hcart3 for the restore. You can change it back after restore is done, or leave one drive as hcart3 if you do lots of restores.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

But to change one of the drive LTO5  to HCART3 the old configuration is not impossible to operate on me LTO5 tapes?

Marianne
Level 6

It's a choice you HAVE to make when you need restores.

PLEASE have another look at my previous post - make the change when you need to do a restore. Change back after restore is done.