cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I move the tape of an old library to a new library as part of a hardware change?

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

How do I move the tape of an old library to a new library as part of a hardware change?

26 REPLIES 26

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I understand, but if the tapes do not have barcode and identification in the EMM is default, moving to standalone and then remove the old library and insert into the new library Should I put in the position of the old library?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

When you do an inventory in the NB console - it gets all the info from the library about what king of tapes (based on the barcode of LTO3 or LTO4) and it gets the info from library about what slots each tape is located in.  NB and the LIB will take care of keeping track of where the tapes are.

When you move the tapes to standalone and physical remove them from the library.  Then NB thinks they are not in a lib and will not  show them in any slot.

Once you have the new lib setup and the drives configured and you add the tapes to the library and do the inventory the EMM will be updated with the tapes new locations. That is what the lib and NB do they keep track of where the tapes are.

When you are adding brand new tapes they get added and show up in NB when you do the inventory - that is how you got the tapes that are showing up in NB now.  And again the lib will tell NB what slots they are in.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

is no need to move from standalone library again, would only be performed by the Inventory of the new library and detect the tapes? and the other no problem with the volume pools that use certain tapes that are in a certain position in the old library and change position in the new library?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I wish you mentioned this right from the start:

"but if the tapes do not have barcodes ..."

This will complicate EVERYTHING!!!!

Get yourself new, barcoded tapes for the new robot.

Only remove old tapes from old robot if you have stickers on each tape that matches the NetBackup media-id. ONLY put these old tapes in the new robot when you need to restore from them.

So, when you need to restore, find the tape with the correct media-id, manually put it into an empty slot in the robot. Make sure you know the slot number. Then go to the GUI, find the media-id, select Move, select robot # and specify slot #. Else, use vmphyinv from cmd to inventory the slots with non-barcoded media.

If you do 'normal' inventory with non-barcoded tapes in the robot, NBU will think these tapes are new and assign new media-id's to them.

Please read up in Admin Guide I and Commands manual for vmphyinv information and usage.

SUGGESTION: get a knowledgeable NBU support person from your local reseller to come and assist, even if they charge a small consulting fee. There might be more information that you forgot to mention...

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Suggestion:

1. Configure all new drives to be configured as same HCART# as the old ones.

2. FREEZE all OLD tapes. (Netbackup will not try to write, just restore from these)

3. and/or start writing all backup's to a new pool (ex Daily -> Daily_L5).

Then you can handle LTO3, 4  and 5's in same library without reconfiguring.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

need to use the same policies but now the tapes LTO5 and redefine policies in function to the new tapes

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, use the same policies. Just select the new Storage Unit in all policies.

You can put your new tapes in existing pools. Pools are defined by their usage, not by location.

As I've said in my previous post - get help. You seem to remember something new every day.