cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Powered Off VM in 7.5.0.6

Chan_backup
Level 5

Hi,

I Would like to know how the powered off VM backup is working with VADP concept in Netbackup 7.5.0.6?

I know VM tools services is important concept to backup VM, if VM is powered off VMtools will be also down because it run in it runs in virtual machine.

Please let me know how to backup powered off VM.

-Chan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Vmware tools are used to get the Snapshot of the VMs, and powered off VM does not require that.

Make sure you have configured Vcenter in Netbackup and select the powered off VM and go for the backups.

see the below highlited recommendation from netbackup Vmware ware admin guide

The virtual machine is powered off

Through a vCenter server, NetBackup can back up the virtual machines that are turned
off. You must provide credentials for NetBackup to access the vCenter server.
See “Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware” on page 42
If NetBackup uses credentials for an ESX server instead of vCenter, it may not be able to
identify a turned off virtual machine. Note the following:
■ If the policy uses VM host name or VM DNS name as the Primary VM identifier,
NetBackup may not find the virtual machine. The backup fails.
If the policy uses VM display name or VM UUID as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup
can identify the virtual machine. The backup succeeds.
The

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla

Vmware tools are used to get the Snapshot of the VMs, and powered off VM does not require that.

Make sure you have configured Vcenter in Netbackup and select the powered off VM and go for the backups.

see the below highlited recommendation from netbackup Vmware ware admin guide

The virtual machine is powered off

Through a vCenter server, NetBackup can back up the virtual machines that are turned
off. You must provide credentials for NetBackup to access the vCenter server.
See “Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware” on page 42
If NetBackup uses credentials for an ESX server instead of vCenter, it may not be able to
identify a turned off virtual machine. Note the following:
■ If the policy uses VM host name or VM DNS name as the Primary VM identifier,
NetBackup may not find the virtual machine. The backup fails.
If the policy uses VM display name or VM UUID as the Primary VM identifier, NetBackup
can identify the virtual machine. The backup succeeds.
The

Chan_backup
Level 5

Hi,

"Vmware tools are used to get the Snapshot of the VMs, and powered off VM does not require that"

When query is raised from vmware host, it creats a snapshot with the help of VMtools via VC, if powered off VM does not require the VMtools then in what method powered off VM is backed up?

as per my understanding it is not taking snapshot, please clarify my query?

-Chan

RamNagalla

i think for the powered off VMs it takes the help from ESXi or from Vcenter to make the the Snap & backups..

i am not expert over there.. you probabply  need to ask VMware admin to check what backend technoligy it use to take the backup of Powered off VM

just go ahead and try the backup as suggested in my previous post and see if that works..