cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create Oracle .tpl Template for RMAN Backup?

tarun_konduri1
Level 4

Hi,

I need to take a RMAN Hot Backup using .tpl template but I don't know how to create it. My Master is Windows 2003 and Oracle Client is Redhat Linux.

My doubt is, can I create the template from Master itself or I need to create it from Client? In both the cases, what steps should I follow.

Can anyone please let me know. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Tarun.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to login to the client with oracle DBA user.
Run jbpSA on the client and login into this host with DBA user. Then, check oracle instance in [Backup Files] tab, and click [Backup] button.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to login to the client with oracle DBA user.
Run jbpSA on the client and login into this host with DBA user. Then, check oracle instance in [Backup Files] tab, and click [Backup] button.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to Yasuhisa's excellent post, have a look at the NBU for Oracle manual. Steps are documented under the topic About creating templates and shell scripts

Note that templates do not reside on the clients. Templates reside on the NetBackup master server, but is created from Client side.

Step 1 under above topic says the following:

1 Use operating system methods to log into the client upon which NetBackup for Oracle is installed.

A couple of pages further the following topic can be seen:

Creating RMAN templates using the NetBackup for Oracle RMAN template generation wizard

You did not mention your NBU version - manual for 7.1 can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3672

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

If you cannot get the template to work you can use the sample script in located in the client in

/usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman/hot_database_backup.sh

to backup the database. It will backup the database, archive logs and the controlfile, everything you need to restore. I find that the sample script is easier to troubleshoot than using the template.

Rgds

Oddy

tarun_konduri1
Level 4

Thanks Yasuhisa and Marianne. I will try this out and let you know if I have any further doubts. Also, forgot to mention that My Master is at 6.5.5 and client Ora is at 6.5.4.

Marianne
Level 6

PLEASE remember to upgrade your environment BEFORE NBU 6.5 runs out of support....

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74757

tarun_konduri1
Level 4

Yasuhisa / Marianne,

I am unable to invoke the Backup, Archive and Restore window using putty. Is there any other software I can use or is there any settings I should use in Putty. Please suggest. Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Choices: Find some sort of xterm software to install on your desktop; Install NBU Java Console on your desktop - can be found on your Windows install media. Launch Java console, type in Oracle server hostname, oracle user name and password; Customize sample scripts on Oracle server as per Oddy's recommendation instead of using templates. Which ever method you choose, PLEASE do NOT attempt Oracle backups without assistance from dba.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited