cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels on caleder schedule.

1- I want to add calendar schedule only.

2- 1st of every months backup shd have 1 year retention.

3- rest days of months retention shd be 3 weeks retention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to this party....

This TN shows how multiple schedules with different names for Application Backup schedules can be used:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90544 
DOCUMENTATION: How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot do it at the moment as it is the default application backup schedule that determines the retention period not your schedules

You have to use a policy for each required retention period I am afraid

Hope this helps

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

I can do so with frequency based schedule, need to know if this works on calender also.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

You can manage backup of multiple retensions only if your schedule is based on day of week, but in this case you need to run monthly backup in 1st of every month. This requirement can not be met using multiple Application Backup schedules.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

So i can not schedule multiple retention on calender schedule on SQL backup policies.

can anyone flash more light on this?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
You say you already do this with frequency based schedules ... Have you actually looked at your backups to ensure that they have the retention periods that they should have? All SQL backups will take the retention period of the default application schedule and not that of your schedules Please check to prevent loosing backup data

Marianne
Level 6

I am late to this party....

This TN shows how multiple schedules with different names for Application Backup schedules can be used:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90544 
DOCUMENTATION: How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Haven't seen that one before Marianne - thanks for that - not sure i would totally trust it, especially for very large SQL Servers that take hour to back up - but very interesting concept

yes

Will_Restore
Level 6

New one on me too.  Thanks for the link! 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

so this is  not possible with calender schedule?

I have to set different retention on date basis so i cant go with frequency schedule. 

looks best solution is two create another policy. Thoughts. 

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure why you are saying that you cannot use Frequency   ?

TECH90544 clearly shows Frequency schedules with different retentions.
As a matter of interest - it is not the Frequency or Calendar based Automatic backups that determine the Retention period - it is the 
Application Backup schedule(s) where you need to take care that the windows do not overlap.

Easiest way is to create separate policies.
Most of our customers are using separate policies.