cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to restore backup physical image to virtual System (no BRM)

Fcusenza
Level 3

HI, I Have windows backup (LOCAL disk + System state) full that one windows 2003 physical machine I now want restore this to the new different virtual System, without turn off original phy machine It's possible? My scenario: 1 master server windows 2008r2 nbu 7.5.0.6 2 media server symantec app nbu 7.5.0.6 Thanks regards Fabio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows client(s) that include C: (and other system) drive(s), Shadow Copy Component, and/or System_State from a reliable full MS-Windows backup without IDR or BMR in the event of a Disaster (or need to fall back to a known working state).

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

What your looking for is an alternate restore. Please follow these steps from HOWTO36039.

1. Open the Backup and Restore GUI (BAR) and set the source and destination servers. 
2. Using the BAR GUI select the applicable date from the 'NetBackup History' pane for which the restore is required 
3. Mark / Select the 'System State' or 'Shadow Copy Components' from the 'All Folders'  pane Depending on which files you require (see below for differences)
4. Click the 'Start restore of marked files' button in the BAR GUI.
5. Choose the 'Restore individual folders and files to different locations' radio button from the 'Restore Marked Files' window.
6. Specify the restore destination by double-clicking the section beneath the 'Destination' heading. i.e. 'C:\Test'
7. Specify overwrite existing files by selecting the 'Overwrite existing files' radio button.
8. Click the 'Start restore' button to start the restore . The restored files will be found under the destination path specified above.

You will want to make sure you have the netbackup client on the guest VM before you restore.

jim_dalton
Level 6

I think no BRM means no BMR ie no baremetalrestore which to my understanding this would require.

I'd be interested to know if this works.

Jim

Fcusenza
Level 3

hi ,

thanks for the update and sorry for my delay.

yes i understand BMR is no bare metal restore

i did a restore as "howto" but now i have in different location a system state folder (ad+evnt+reg+sysvol ecc)

but now how do i restore on the new operating system the systemstate folder ?

Thanks

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows client(s) that include C: (and other system) drive(s), Shadow Copy Component, and/or System_State from a reliable full MS-Windows backup without IDR or BMR in the event of a Disaster (or need to fall back to a known working state).

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Generally you would need to build an equivalent server in vmware first - so the same O/S and SP and number of processors - then install NBU client and then do a full restore to that machine, overwriting everything

It may not boot however as is often the case in these situations due to the major hardware changes

You also cannot have both on the network with the same name and IP address at the same time so the original would need shutting down

You can do a restore to a virtual disk file as well but not sure if that is importable into VMware and made bootable?

Just a few ideas

Fcusenza
Level 3

HI all,

for me it's no possible to perform complete recovery because the original machine is online and it's not possible to shutdown.

i build a new server (on vmware) and i restore the file system c and system state on different location.

Now i want to restore my alternative system state to new vm

but how do ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The System State contains the server name and all of its settings - so with the live server up and running you cannot do it

Fcusenza
Level 3
i'am doing a system restore in a separate vmware environment

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You would still need to build a server first, install the NBU client and then restore the system state to that server as a redirected restore

I guess you could then disconenct it from its network within vCenter before rebooting it so that it could come up with the new system state in place

You just need to isolate it before the reboot

Fcusenza
Level 3

I mark,

your information is exactly what i did but when i do a redirected restore that system state i see in the folder with:

-event

-reg

-sysvol

-systemfolder

-ecc

now i  overwrite the system state extract in the operation system, how?

in other cases i had been on system state backup with windows backup (or ntbackup) and this was taken in source with recovery boot

thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Do you just want to restore the items to a folder or actually restore the System State over the top of an existing one (on the vmware based server)?

What you see if what you get if you restore it to a folder - those are the system state components (though bear in mind that these days we usually use the "Shadow Copy Components" as it holds a lot more that just the System State)

If restoring over the top of the new server then just choose the new server as the destination client but restore to the "original location"

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

As noted above, use this article to do the restore activity. 

Because the original server is online, do the following network setup:

1. Find an unused IP address on a different subnet than the original server.

2. Set an entry in the "/etc/hosts" file of the Master and Media Servers that point the given client host name to this new IP addess.

3. Run "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" on Master/Media working servers. This scrubs the original IP address from the NBU server's host name cache file and causes the use of local hosts files for the IP address.

4. Restore all files to their normal locations, overlaying the preinstalled files.

The use of an IP in a different subnet will not cause you to get errors for duplicate host names and IP addresses on the same network. Once the client files are restored, you can reset host name and IP address using normal OS functions.