cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images and Valid Images

Jaggi
Level 4
Certified
Any one please explain me what is the differance between 'Images' and 'Valid Images' showed in Media Lists report. When I run Media List report I got 10 Images in the media but 0 Valid Images.
2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Images

The total number of backups on the volume.

Valid Images

The number of nonexpired backups on the volume. e.g. if the volume has 50 backups but only 10 are valid, then the other 40 have expired.

So in your example it would indicate to me that all the images on this media have expired.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Andy has provided the good definition of  images and vaild images. NetBackup does not delete individual image form the tape instead it waits for all the images to expire before it reuses the tape and that is the reason you see different numbers against total images and valid images.

In your case, the media you are looking at has only expired image and it is ready to go back to scratch pool if it was initally assigned to Scratch Pool or will get overwritten as and when a backup comimg to this particular pool requires a new tape. Once a backup writes even a single image, your total image and valid image number will become to 1 or to the number of images particular backup has written to it.