cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images on tape vs Directories on tape

Saluki_Fan
Level 3

Hello! Maybe someone can help me out with this. I've been unable to find a NetBackup report that shows what directories, files or file systems are in what backup image on what media. I can find out what backup images are on the media or when backups were taken and how large or small they are. I can find out what the copy number of a particular image on a particular location. But I can't find anything displaying acutal directory names, like /u01 or /.

Also, I tried to find out what was on a scratch tape that came in from offsite and was unable to. I tried the media contents report, but that report started, mounted the tape and then hung for 2 hours so I just cancelled the job to free up our 2 tape drives so the duplicate jobs could run this afternoon.

We have NetBackup 6.0 MP5 for Solaris as our master and media server.

So, is there anyway to match up directory names with backup image names? I suspect the information is available somewhere because you can use the BAR utility on the client to select directories or files to restore and then NetBackup knows where they are. I'd like to be able to print a report with this information on it. Maybe it's not readily available so that a thief won't know what's on what tape?

Secondly, where do I find a procedure to restore a file or directory from a tape that's expired?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

the only way to see the dir's or files on a tape is via the BAR.

you would need to find out what images are on the tape ( you tried the hard way)

the difference between tape contents (it loads the tape and reads it) vs images on tape ( it gets the info from the database). 

so do the images on tape.

this will give you a list of servers and the day they were backed up, and what policy.

then I would have to go to the BAR and look for the backups of that server and see what was backed up on the day of the images listed in the  "images on tape" report.

I know of no way to get a complete list of anything except through the BAR. ( as any list would be HUGE)

if the tape is "scratch" meaning that the images on it has expired.. you have to import the tape.

this is done via the catalog screen - and is a 2 step process.

phase 1 import will tell you what servers got backed up on that tape and when.

phase 2 will allow you to use the BAR and look these servers and look at all the files. (same issue as above, one tells you servers and when, the other you have to lookup server and when to find out what.)

the admin guide will tell you how to import tapes.