Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect retention date !!!

emret
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

I set the retention of the backup 1 day but after the completed job when we check the images from the catalog it shows retention 2038. 

are there anyone have an any idea about his problem ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is because you use Storage Lifecycle Policy. A image not processed by the SLP will have a expiration of 2038, when processed the original date is set.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is because you use Storage Lifecycle Policy. A image not processed by the SLP will have a expiration of 2038, when processed the original date is set.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Double-check the schedule & correct for subsequent backups.

You can use the bpexpdate command to correct the retention period of images if required:

e.g.

bpexpdate -d <dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss> -backupid <client_12345678>

or

bpexpdate -recalculate -ret <retention_level> -backupid <client_12345678>

***EDIT*** Unless Nicolai is correct & you are using SLP??

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per Nicolai's post, when using SLP the initial backup copy will be set to infinite. Only when duplication has successfully completed will retention level be applied.

emret
Level 6
Partner Accredited

why it happens like this ? is the retention date the depend on the duplication process ?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

how you two guys (esp Nicolai) knew SLPs were involved?

I know you're both very good at what you do but there's no mention of SLPs in the OP!!! surprise

emret
Level 6
Partner Accredited

still duplication process waiting on the queue. when this process completed l will check the retention date of the image.

Will_Restore
Level 6

but what happens to all these 'infinite' retentions in 2038surprise

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I used at lot of time working with SLP's. So when emret mention the incorrect retention of 2038 is guessed he/she was using SLP's.

Well it could be a simple schedule misconfiguration - But I guess emret would have figured that out ;)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I don't know why Symantec wrote the code to handle the images like this. It fooled me serious the first time I encountered this behavior.

My own guess it's a safety feature to prevent a backup images to be deleted without being processed by a SLP.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

yes

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Just like windows had a 2000 issue - unix is going to have a 2038 issue  and everything in unix will expire!

So unix has to fix the epoch date thing so we can note dates beyound 2038.