cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 & Exchange 2010 Backups

Jaykullar
Level 5

Hi All,

Ive got a new solution that was partly build before i got my mits on it. This is my first time trying to backup Exchange 2010.

Exchange has been setup by the Wintel Guys, and Ive setup a service account for the NBU Client service on the Exchange Server. The Master Server is currently being used to back up Exchange.

Now reading the document http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3669 I can backup Exchange in a couple of ways.

Ive tried using DAG however the backup fails with a status 2 - no worklist found. The client is the same as the DAG name, and the backup selection is Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\ - I also tried GRT but didnt realise that it had to be a disk backup first before streaming of to tape to use GRT.

I tried this backup selection and it worked Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\**Mailboxname**  - Here it backed up the mailbox and logs, however i cant do a GRT.

Looking at page 64/65 of the Doc, i tried to setup a backup using backing selection Microsoft Information Store:\  but this fails. Says it is not a supported method.

Is there anything im missing here?

Any help much appreciated?

Thanks

Jay

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

"The client is the same as the DAG name"

Not 100% sure but this might be a problem.

as the dag should have its on ip address when you do a nslookup  - not sure if they both have the same name- which is it finding - the server or the dag.......

Verify that when in the policy you can browse the data selection -  if you cannot get to the data selection you might not have it all set up correctly.

use the fqdn for the dag in the client list.

if you have more than one server that hosts the dag (like an active and passive copy) make sure the server names are in a normal backup policy and that you have netbackup installed on both.

Jaykullar
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the comment, i did get around to this last night and i found your post regards setting up DAG Backups cross domain.

The DAG currently does not have and IP and not on the domain, so as you say this is probably the problem. Im looking at getting it on the domain now. Oh the joys of new products :)

Thanks,

Jay

Jaykullar
Level 5

Ive now got a backup. However as i cant backup to disk (have no disk space) is there any other way of backing up so i can restore individual mailboxes etc? Or does this have to be done via GRT?

Thanks

Jay

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

doing a backup to tape - you can still restore a mailstore to a RDB and then extract out a folder from the mailbox in the RDB to the users mailbox.  You just have to restore to the RDB first.

You might want to also talk to your Exchange admin to set you up in OWA for Discovery -  where you can do searches on the stored items (things the user as already deleted but might still be archived in exchange)  here you can do keyword search and find missing items.

I have never done GRT or backup to disk with exchange so cannot comment on that - but I think you have to do disk to do GRT