cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incrementals do full backup after 6.0 MP6 upgrade

ayoung1969
Level 3
Hi,
We performed an upgrade from NBU6.0 MP4 to NBU6.0 MP6 yesterday.

When our usual incremental backups ran last night they all backed up the full amount of data on the server (ie effectively a full backup).  Subsequent backups on a server performed incrementals as expected (provided the first backup after the upgrade had completed).

It looks like the upgrade to MP6 caused the NBU database to lose the records of what was previously backed up and so forced it to back everything up again.

Has anyone else seen this before ?

21 REPLIES 21

Stumpr2
Level 6
Small inconvienence? right!
It sure sounds like it.
Fulls vs incrementals?
Yep, shouldn't need to adjust any backup windows. Smiley Mad

This could jepordize the enterprise backups for a couple of nights.
At least we are now fore-warned.

thesanman
Level 6

I bounced off this issue after a recent v6.0 MP5 to MP6 upgrade.  Caused me some grief (luckily I found this post) but on following it up I also realised these STREAMS files are not backed up via an online catalog backup either.

I logged a call and got back a response which was essentially "this is by design" but to me when you backup your catalog you expect to get all the required files to enable you to restore your catalog as it was when you backed it up!  If you miss these files and don't realise the relevance then you have this problem again.  Given that restoring a catalog is something you do very rarely and normally under pressure because something is broken to me these files shoudl be included.

Given that when I backup my master server I had excluded the relevant database structures from normal system backups (ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES) I have now re-included the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/*/STREAMS* files again to at the very least get some form of backup should I need them.

I would have expected this "feature" to be documented in the "how to restore your catalog" section of the relevant documentation but apparently not.