Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 7.5 on an unsupported OS

nick80
Level 4
Partner

Quick question.

As an example I know that 7.5 server isn't supported on Solaris 9.

• If we attempted to upgrade to 7.5 on on an unsupported OS would the upgrade fail ? 
  • Or would it continue with the upgrade and potentially leave you with an unsupported and unstable installation?

We have a bit of due delligence that needs to be undertaken for all client upgrades (but not much time available), So I'm hoping that it would just fail  anyway rather than us breaking the existing Netbackup version installation.

Hope you can help

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Actually, Solaris 9 client is still supported on NBU 7.5 - See OS compatibility list:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Installation/upgrade on an unsupported OS will fail.

Part of the installation process is to check 'uname -a' output. 
If no matching client binaries is found in the installation sub-folders, the installation script wil exit with an error.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

The upgrade will fail.

watsons
Level 6

In Netbackup support term, unsupported basically mean you can do it, it may or may not have problem afterwards, but if it does have, Netbackup support team will not support or troubleshoot it. 

To your questions:

- Upgrade may work, I am not sure if 7.5 pre-checks for the (UNIX) OS version. Need somebody who had that experience to comment. As for Windows, there will be a pre-installation check and you won't be able to upgrade.

Marianne
Level 6

Actually, Solaris 9 client is still supported on NBU 7.5 - See OS compatibility list:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Installation/upgrade on an unsupported OS will fail.

Part of the installation process is to check 'uname -a' output. 
If no matching client binaries is found in the installation sub-folders, the installation script wil exit with an error.

nick80
Level 4
Partner

Yes I used the Netbackup Server for Solaris 9 as an example.

But that has answered my question. So thanks very much.

One more thougth ........... Will it act in exactly the same way if using Live Update to do the install ?

Marianne
Level 6

I have in all honesty never used Live Update, but my guess is that it will fail as well.