cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to configure a maximum run time for a job

sclind
   VIP   

I have a Windows 2008 R2 master server running Netbackup  7.6.1.2.  We use VMware Intelligent policies to backup our VMs every other day.

I have one VM client in the policy that ran 88 hours over the long weekend (basically not doing anything for the last couple days).  I'd like to be able to set some extreme maximum run time for a job - perhaps 3 days.  My searches show that this is possible in Backup Exec but I don't see any feature like this in Netbackup.  Am I missing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Don't know of anything in NetBackup but you could configure the "hung job" alert for this in opscenter. At least that way you can be notified and take action.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sclind
   VIP   

I should also point out that since the parent job never ended (as long as the one client was still running) therefore the entire VMware Intelligent Policy was 'stuck' for the entire weekend - the other clients in the policy did not get subsequent backups.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Don't know of anything in NetBackup but you could configure the "hung job" alert for this in opscenter. At least that way you can be notified and take action.

sclind
   VIP   

I have set this up as a notification tool.  Thank you.

Marianne
Level 6
I agree with Riaan. There is no way to automatically terminate long running / hung jobs. Best to troubleshoot the reason for this if it happens on a regular basis.

sclind
   VIP   

Unfortunately this happens very sporadically with VMs so there really is no good way to get to the root cause.  Thanks to both of you for you replies.