cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any vaild Reason to keep 3.4 clients?

Sean_Krantz
Level 4
All,

Can anyone give me a good reason to keep using 3.4 clients? The windows group ways that they want to keep it because it runs fine.

Any thoughts--
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
If you have a client running 3.4 it is a good bet that it's platform/OS is unsupported in 5.1/6.0
check the compatibility matrix before removing 3.4 and attempting to upgrade.
3.4 is not supported, but hey! if it ain't broke......don't try an fixit.
It's up to you..

DavidParker
Level 6
Right Bob, you can only connect a 3.4 client to a 4.5 master (and nothing higher).

Kinda depends on the OS of the client. If it's NT4, it could be a severe pain to upgrade (requires an IE version and SP6 I think) to 4.5 or 5.x.

If your client is 2000 or 2003, then there's probably no reason to not upgrade.

Hehe, was stuck with some 3.4 clients at my last job; they stopped me from upgrading my master from 4.5 -> 5.1

Stumpr2
Level 6
another solution is to nfs mount the file systems onto another Netbackup client running 5/6.x

Jason_Voyles
Level 4
Look at the Veritas support matrix for 4.5 and it will explain that a specific patch level is required for anything on Windows NT for 4.5 to work. If you have a NT box that's that old, then 3.4 may be the only thing you can run on it. (and if you do, for god's sake, upgrade!) ;)

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I was backing up 3.4 clients with 5.1 mp3. My 6.0 servers will not backup 3.4 clients. I do not see any reason not to upgrade except that the newer clents are big enough that I can not install it on some of the older boxes. In some ways it is a good incentive to upgrade those machines since they have gotten to the point where they are just to expensive to maintian since parts are getting scarce.

Stumpr2
Level 6
>to expensive to maintian since parts are getting scarce

yep. That's good insight!
Especially if you have an expensive maintenance contract.
Many times it justifies the replacement.
Good call!

Sean_Krantz
Level 4
These clients are PC, maybe thats why they still have 3.2 and 3.4. Humm

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sean,
I'm interested in how you fared in this?