cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Solaris 8 Client Support

trainman671
Level 2

We are currently running NetBackup 7.5 master/media server and are backing up 3 legacy Solaris 8 systems with the Netbackup 6.5 client. We would like to move forward to NetBackup 7.6. Since 7.6 no longer supports 6.X clients, how can I keep backing up my legacy systems?

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Technically, NO 7.x supports 6.x clients anymore (including in your current setup with 7.5), but that doesn't mean it won't work.  I can't say it WILL work for sure, and we definitely couldn't offer any support for it, but I suspect it would still work.

If it DOESN'T work, you're probably looking at NFS mounts from your Solaris 8 systems to something that DOES have a 7.x client on it, which is a giant pain and might be super slow but isn't impossible.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Technically, NO 7.x supports 6.x clients anymore (including in your current setup with 7.5), but that doesn't mean it won't work.  I can't say it WILL work for sure, and we definitely couldn't offer any support for it, but I suspect it would still work.

If it DOESN'T work, you're probably looking at NFS mounts from your Solaris 8 systems to something that DOES have a 7.x client on it, which is a giant pain and might be super slow but isn't impossible.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Actually, all support for 6.x ended 2 years ago. 
See Version Compatibility TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29677 
Your server owners need to upgrade OS since SUN/Oracle has also ended support for Solaris 8.

trainman671
Level 2

I am aware that support for 6.x ended, which is why I posted this thread. I was hoping that maybe there was another solution, like maintaining a seperate 6.X media server.

As for upgrading the OS, telling owners that they "need" to upgrade without knowing their situation is short sighted. As a manufacturer that's been in business over 30 years and still supports every product we've ever made, an OS upgrade is not possible. As a paying customer that maintains software support and has been using Netbackup since it was owned by Veritas, I'm dissapointed. I find it ironic that you still offer and support a VMS client, which we use, but no longer support OS clients that currently work.

That being said, we will probably move forward with our 7.6 deployment as our windows server environment far out numbers our legacy solaris base.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not short-sighted. Realistic and fair.

You cannot expect Symantec to support an OS that is no longer supported by the OS vendor.

I believe that CRZ has provided you with a workable, supported solution in the form of NFS mounts.