cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux CLient Troubles

greatlittlebox
Level 3

Hi,

I am a beginner to this and have a problem conntecting my master server to a linux 2.6 client. The master server is running on windows xp and the linux client is running on CENT Os 5.

I have sucessfully set up a windows client on another computer and linked it to the master server.

For some reason the master server cant see my linux client. When i installed the client everything seemed to be fine except for the following line, not sure if this even matters: LiveUpdate is not installed, skipping registration step...

Is this why it won't work? Where do i get the live update install from?

i port scanned the linux client and the following ports are open and i can telnet into them.

13722/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup
13782/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup
13783/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup

The master servier gives me the error: A write operation to a socket failed.

Not sure where to go from here. I have selinux and the firewall disabled. Is there any commands i can run to determine if all of the client services are running and working properly?

Thanks,

-MArk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

greatlittlebox
Level 3

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Inoticed that the command bpclntcmd -pn didn't return anything. I needed to add an entry into my etc/hosts file for the backup server name.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

frist trouble shooting steps is check dns

either  do the netbackup commands

or

do nslookup both forward and backward from the master and from the client.

Make sure dns is working to resolve the names and ip addresses.

greatlittlebox
Level 3

That all works fine. The server is currently running as a file server and the network name resolves to the ip address.

I just noticed that vnetd 13724/tcp is not showing up when i do a portscan. The service file is created in the xinetd folder. Does this need to be running?

greatlittlebox
Level 3

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Inoticed that the command bpclntcmd -pn didn't return anything. I needed to add an entry into my etc/hosts file for the backup server name.