cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox exchange restore error - handshaking failed with server backup restore manager

marcymarc24
Level 4

Hello,

I am attempting a restore of an Exchange mailbox from a client (windows 2003 server) which no longer on the network.  I am trying to restore to an NDMP host.

When attempting the restore I get the following error...

15:10:15 INF - Server status = 201
15:10:15 Status of restore from image created Tue Sep 16 18:10:25 2008 = handshaking failed with server backup restore manager

Fails with error code 5.

The media server is still up and running and I have the tapes onsite.

The setup is on a Solaris 10 master server, Netbackup 6.0MP6, Library IBM 3500.

Any ideas where I can start looking for this one?

-Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before we troubleshoout the handshaking error -

You cannot resore a mailbox to an NDMP server. You can only restore it to an Exchange server where the mailbox exists.

Extract from NBU for Exchange Admin Guide:

"The destination mailbox must exist to successfully restore a mailbox."

To troubleshoot the handshaking error, ensure you have bprd log on master server (if the directory does not exist, create it and restart services).

You will see in bprd log how image number is found, and then how the media server that wrote the image is contacted/connected to. Ensure that bpcd and bpbrm exists on the media server.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before we troubleshoout the handshaking error -

You cannot resore a mailbox to an NDMP server. You can only restore it to an Exchange server where the mailbox exists.

Extract from NBU for Exchange Admin Guide:

"The destination mailbox must exist to successfully restore a mailbox."

To troubleshoot the handshaking error, ensure you have bprd log on master server (if the directory does not exist, create it and restart services).

You will see in bprd log how image number is found, and then how the media server that wrote the image is contacted/connected to. Ensure that bpcd and bpbrm exists on the media server.