cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server Upgradation

H_Sharma
Level 6

Dear All,

This is my first post. My friend has suggested me to subscribe this forum as many netbackup experts are resolveing netbackup issues in this forum with their vast knowledge, Experience and prompt support etc.

My query goes like this.

I have one master server in windows 2003 6.5 32 bit and want to upgrade it to 7.0.

1:- i have full catalog backup of 6.5 master server but catalog restoration wont work in 7.0. I think so but not sure. What are the steps?

2:- As i have 32 bit O/S how would I upgrade it to 7.0 however, my server can support to 64 bit O/S. I have enterprise licenese of 7.0.

Could somebody pls tell me how to upgrade Master server?

Thank You,

Hargyan Sharma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you upgrade your server from 32bit to 64 bit it will be an O/S re-installation - so you will need to do a catalog restore afterwards as it will be like a new server installation

#edit# I would still look at going 2008 though as 2003 will not be a supported platform for long so it would be best to make the move now

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - first off, if you are going to upgrade you may as well go to 7.5 rather than just 7.0

The process would go like this:

1. Make sure nothing is running or due to run and do a full catalog backup - keeping the DR file safe

2. Shutdown or re-build the server - preferably as 2008 because 2003 will not be supported soon

3. Make sure it has the same name and preferably the same IP address as the original

4. Install NetBackup 6.5 (same patch level as the original) to the same location as the original

5. Configure its tape drives and do a catalog recovery

6. Upgrade to 7.5 and shut down the services immediately

7. Patch to 7.5.0.6 and allow the catalog upgrade to complete (see the 7.5 upgrade docs for full details)

This gives you the original system back but on a new O/S

If you need further steps just ask

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

HI Hargyan Sharma

first.. welcome to connect....  :) 

windows 2003 32 bit OS is supported by Netbackup 7.X, so you does not need to go for 64 bit considering the support issue... 

check in below SORT link for compatablity matrix.

https://sort.symantec.com/netbackup

before going for upgrade you need to make catalog backup.. that will be life saver if anything went wrong in upgrade process and get your server backup to olderver version...

jupgrade process does not require any catalog restore unless you need to recover something els later... and i belive you can do that recovery..

and i would suggest you got with latest netbackup avaliable version 7.5.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74584

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

forgot to include the link http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

H_Sharma
Level 6

Dear Nagalla,

Thanks for the information.

if i upgrade 6.5 to 7.0 or 7.5 32 bit to 64 bit on the same system it does not require any catalog restoration right?

Thanks,

Hargyan

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thank you Mark for valuable info.

Is it possible to restore 6.5 catalog backup to 7.0 ? if not any option from lower version to higher version?

Regards,

Hargyan Sharma

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you upgrade your server from 32bit to 64 bit it will be an O/S re-installation - so you will need to do a catalog restore afterwards as it will be like a new server installation

#edit# I would still look at going 2008 though as 2003 will not be a supported platform for long so it would be best to make the move now