cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server Failover

H_Sharma
Level 6
Hello Experts, I have a windows client and need to restore some SQL database. It gets failed with Network issue (41) Error code every time and taking only 1 media server i.e for sv5.net . 19/03/2016 09:17:32 - Info bptm(pid=15924) INF - Waiting for positioning of media id 0T67L4 on server sv5.net for reading. May I change Media server sv5.net to another for this client restore only? Thanks & Regards,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
SQL restore needs a LONG LONG Client Read Timeout on the media server so that SQL can initialize the database. Something like 3 hours (7200) is normally sufficient. You can read up about this in NBU for SQL Guide. Media server failover on Windows master is in Host Properties - > Master - > Universal settings - > Media Host override

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If another media server has access to the back end storage (tape or disk) then you can add to FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = original_media_server new_media_server

Have a look at this Technote:http://www.veritas.com/docs/000044025

Marianne
Level 6
SQL restore needs a LONG LONG Client Read Timeout on the media server so that SQL can initialize the database. Something like 3 hours (7200) is normally sufficient. You can read up about this in NBU for SQL Guide. Media server failover on Windows master is in Host Properties - > Master - > Universal settings - > Media Host override

H_Sharma
Level 6
Thanks Marianne. Do we need to restart any Master/Media Netbackup services after making the below changes? Media server failover on Windows master is in Host Properties - > Master - > Universal settings - > Media Host override

Marianne
Level 6
I cannot remember if a restart is needed. Try it without restart and see what happens. If original media server is again chosen, use cluster commands/utilities to restart NBU. Before you do that - the media server is hardly ever the reason for Client Read Timeout during SQL restore. The reason is the time needed for SQL to initialize the database. Please search for 'timeout' in NBU for SQL Guide. Rather increase the timeout on the media server or read up in above manual about initializing of SQL db.