cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Type change

Bluesea
Level 3
Hi

can i change the media type after the backup was taken in a SDLT I tape? Backup was taken when the media type was DLT3, i would like to change it to DLT? is it possible, how to do it? will it be ok for data restore?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

CY
Level 6
Certified
I assume the tape still has valid backup on it (since you asked if it's ok for data restore.)

May we know why you want to change the media type after it has been used for backup and still has valid backup on it?  It is possible but would give you a big headache if I am not understating.

Bluesea
Level 3

well, i have a netbackup installtion where i have 3 types of physical media - DLT IV, SDLT I & SDLT II. In the net backup DLT IV tape type is dlt and dlt3 for SDLT I & II tapes.

In the ATL -  PX720 - I have SDLT600 drives for new backups and a SDLT320 drive to restore data from old tapes. SDLT600 drives are configured as dlt3 and SDLT320 drive is configured as dlt. I would like to restore a tape (SDLT I) in SDLT320 drive.

I guess i can reconfigure SDLT320 drive as DLT but that require device manager service restart - currently i have large backup running , didn't want to take the risk of backup failure by restarting the device manager service.

thanks for your help.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Change a volume's media type
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange [-h EMM_server | volume_database_host]
-new_mt media_type -m media_id

CY
Level 6
Certified
OK, in short this is how you can change the media type:

1. Make sure you have the list of the SDLT 1 tapes (show as "dlt3" type) you want to change to "dlt" type.
2. Delete the medias from the volume DB.  (In the NBU Admin GUI -> media -> right click the media you want to change and select "delete")
3. Create new barcode rule so these SDLT 1 tapes will be recognized as "dlt" type when they are inventoried back.
4. Inventory the library so NetBackup can re-see the SDLT 1 tape as new tapes ("dlt" type).
5. Use the Catalog tool to import the tapes.  NetBackup will read the tape's header to realize these tapes still have valid backup images.

See what I mean it's such a big headache?

It's probably easier to re-allocate a SDLT320 drive and re-configure it as dlt3 type so you can use it for restore purpose.

Bluesea
Level 3
Thanks for your detail reply.

import - scary !!! it will take long time, right? i have almost 3000 tapes of that kind. I don't think its feasible to do that.

Do you know if SDLT600 drives can read and write on SDLT I tape? if you restart device manager,  does backup continue or fail?

Thanks

Bluesea
Level 3
Thanks for your detail reply.

import - scary !!! it will take long time, right? i have almost 3000 tapes of that kind. I don't think its feasible to do that.

Do you know if SDLT600 drives can read and write on SDLT I tape? if you restart device manager,  does backup continue or fail?

Thanks

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I am sure for that on the server where is runing ltid it restart will affect runing jobs on that server.
Maybe You can suspend jobs, restart ltid and resume them later on?

"The stopltid command stops ltid, avrd, and the robotic daemons"