cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media does not load/mount properly

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Hello,

I was having an issue with the backups failing and found three media tapes that were not mounting/loading properly. I have removed the media from the system for now and everything went back to normal. Does anyone know what could be the cause of that and may have a solution to this issue?

v/r

cameron.quinn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Stuart,

After reading and troubleshooting everything. I am going to just leave the media that had issues out and see what happens later. You nake a vaild point on how the insides of the tape could be damaged and the outside not normal.

Thanks to everyone else that had helped make this decision.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Robot / library calibration / hardware fault affecting certain slots Damaged cartridge Probably other reasons but these are the few that spring to mind. I wouldn't worry about it, if it happens again you'll need to investigate but two or three tapes that you have identified and removed, I'd forget about it and move on ...

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Martin,

The media that was removed had been used before for backups it just recently started giving issues. Is there a way to find the source of the issue so I can either reuse the tapes or prevent more tapes from being damaged?

v/r

cameron.quinn

Amaan
Level 6

Did you check your tapes having an issue physically, are they look fine?

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Amaan,

They look fine. I was thinking it could be some sort of configuration on the media that was causing the failed mounts/loads.

v/r

cameron.quinn

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
In what way were they not loading/ mounting. If 'physical' as in they don't make it into the drive then I have no idea how you would have to see if the library vendor can come up with a reason. If it's a media read / mount issue once the tape is in the drive then I'd need to know the error if there is one, but from your post I get the impression the tape isn't making it as far as the drive. If write protected, that would cause an issue, but the tape would make it into the drive and you would get a related error in NBU. If the tapes are a different density, eg LTO2, and the drives are LTO5 for example, that would cause an issue - but they would still go into the drives, just ejected immediately once the drive detects the tape version. LTO drives will write one tape version back and read two tape versions back - just for your reference.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Could  the tape been droped on the floor  ?

Usally this break the casing and causes the tape to jam upon media load/unload.

cameron_quinn
Level 3

I was getting an error code 2009.

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Nicolai,

From the looks of the tapes there looks to be no damage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose Nicolai was referring to the possibility that the tape (while stored in its plastic opaque case) could have been mishandled, dropped, had hard impact - when in transit. If these tapes were never removed from the library then there is a another issue. Maybe tape tension. You used to be able to re-tension a tape - I remember.

But you say on the outside it looks ok. Inside could be a different matter, thereafter when the drive mechanism attempts to mount it it fails.

Best thing is that they are removed to one side.

Any further patterns of this would/should highlight and narrow down where this occurs.

There was a instance on the forums way back once when a problem was diagnosed down to the tapes being inserted the wrong way up. sad

cameron_quinn
Level 3

Stuart,

After reading and troubleshooting everything. I am going to just leave the media that had issues out and see what happens later. You nake a vaild point on how the insides of the tape could be damaged and the outside not normal.

Thanks to everyone else that had helped make this decision.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems you should have marked Solution for a post that has answered your question instead of your own....

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If you open the little slot on the tape, you should see the leader pin sitting across the gap located in a couple of lugs ... If tapes are dropped this pin can become dislodged.