cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media servers a MSDP/PD Disks

BTLOMS
Level 5

We just upgraded to 7.6.02.

We have two DD servers with each having its own PD.

Server - A : PD -A

Server - B : PD -B

Yesterday I noticed that restoring from an image that was backed up using Server - A to PD -A, the restore kicked off on Server - B from PD - A.

How is this possible?

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

because server A and B have the access on PD -A

you can find this in the Netbackup GUI---> storage servers-->PD -A

it will have the both A and B media servers selected over there which indicates both servers can access the PD -A when ever it is needed..

BTLOMS
Level 5

i do not see it selected in  "Storage Servers" option

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi, BTLOMS

Agreed with Nagalla...

If Media server need to access storage server, it have to have access priviledge. In other words, if PD -A is only allowed to be accessed by Server -A, so there should be something wrong with here.

Could you please make sure it again?

Just check the PD -A storage unit's property to see which media servers are listed here? Just Server -A or two of them.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What exactly are the two DD servers that you are referring you?

Most of us know DD as Data Domain.

So, your reference to MSDP and DD is a bit confusing...

BTLOMS
Level 5

DD = De-Dupe

BTLOMS
Level 5

Just Server-A is listed. This is why I am surprised as to why the restore ran from Server - B

Marianne
Level 6

You will need to show us what you see - 

Maybe 'bpimagelist -L' output for this image and all text in Details tab from restore job,
and output from 'bpstulist -L'.

bprd log for the restore job will also show image ownership and how media server is selected for the restore.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee
Hi, BTLOMS Can you confirm the following things? 1. See which media servers are listed. Just confirm again from cmd. bpstulist.exe -show_available Label: pddostu14 Storage Unit Type: Disk Media Subtype: DiskPool (6) Host Connection: Any Available There are 1 host(s) available: mediaserver-hostname Concurrent Jobs: 10 On Demand Only: yes In my example, only one media server("mediaserver-hostname") available for storage unit "pddostu14" 2. See which media server do your image use. NBU admin console->NetBackup Management->Reports->Images on Media-> Run Report. From output on right panel, find out which media server the image use. Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Cannot be too much of an issue - no response in more than 2 weeks?

BTLOMS
Level 5

I have not done any more restores as you can see from another thread our ADP went down. I will update this thread if I see it again.