Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed files after the backup - file system ext4

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

I noticied some files are not being backed up for an ext4's file system.

when I list the directory and match with the bplist command it shows me a difference up to 15-20 files.

I found something interesting related to virtual boxes:

Has anyone seen this before? The backups are finish good and I already sent a lot of logs to the support.

Regards

• The Linux ext4 file system includes a persistent pre-allocation feature, to guarantee disk space for files without padding the allocated space with zeros. When NetBackup restores a pre-allocated file (to any supported ext file system), the file loses its preallocation and is restored as a sparse file.

• To migrate an ext2 or ext3 file system to ext4: See the instructions under Converting an ext3 file system to ext4 on the following page of the Ext4 wiki:

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4

If you do not follow these instructions, data in a newly created ext4 file is not promptly flushed from memory to disk. As a result, NetBackup cannot back up the data of recently created files in the ext4 file system. (The NetBackup snapshot captures the file as zero length.) As a workaround for the file systems that were not correctly migrated, note: Run the Linux sync command on the ext4 file system before starting each backup.

•  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

After having 3 weeks of log. Suppor realized we would need to include a schedule full during the weekends to let netbackup knows the files were changed.

Thank you to everybody for every input.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello OTR,

In my case, I'm not using Vmware policy type. I'm trying to perform the backup with the Standard type.

I also found the first link you sent, but it just applies for vmware.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Seems issue is caused by 'incorrectly migrated filesystems'? It also seems if you have found your own answer: " Run the Linux sync command on the ext4 file system before starting each backup." You can use bpstart_notify script on the client.

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello Marianne

It's a brand new filesystem , it was not migrated.

I ran the sync before the backup and failure still rolling on.

Marianne
Level 6

...  I already sent a lot of logs to the support.....

Keep on working with Support. 

Insist that your case get escalated to backline.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

After having 3 weeks of log. Suppor realized we would need to include a schedule full during the weekends to let netbackup knows the files were changed.

Thank you to everybody for every input.

Marianne
Level 6

Are you saying that you did not have a Full schedule in your policy??

Luiz_Prina
Level 4
Employee

I had , but not for a weekly basis