cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 6 MP6 - DELL ML6000 library - "Inventory Failed: media ID not unique in database (34)

dq72
Level 3
Hello,

We have an ML6000 tape library with 274 licesnsed slots, and are running NetBackup 6 MP6. 
When we are importing tapes, or performing an inventory NB prompts with the error "Inventory failed: media ID not unique in database (34)."

I've narrowed it down to the following:
Dell Library - correctly shows tapes \ slots and correct barcodes (even for the 2 tapes in question)

NB - under media \ robots \ TLD (0) (where I do my tape management) the two tapes 300394  and 301176 and their corresponding slots are NOT showing.
      - at the higher level, under media, - the 'barcode' column shows 301176 twice. 
                                                                    - thet 'slot' column does not register a slot for either tape
                                                                    - the 'media ID' column shows shows 301176   and 300394
For some reason NB has the same barcode  ' 301176' assigned to 2 tapes, even though their media id's are showing as different.

Can I simple 'delete'  the 2 volumes (they don't have any required media on them) and re-inventory to pick them up?
I'm looking for the cleanest way to resolve the issue.

Regards
Darrell
2 REPLIES 2

scorpy_582
Level 6
I guess this will help you:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/203640.htm 

Although this is an old doc but it will work for 6.x also

dq72
Level 3
thanks for the reply scorpy_582 :)

Those 2 scenarios didn't apply to my situtation, so I went for the 'delete' option of the 2 volumes.
After deletion I re-inventoried(with update) in NetBackup and both volumes showed up correctly and were also now showing slot assignments.
At this point they were showing up in the default NetBackup VG - so I did a 'change' and assigned them both to scratch.
The only thing I wasn't sure of was if they required a 'label' command - similar to the process I have to go through one time when bring tapes over from a different system.

Darrell