cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.0 NOM

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Guys,
I am about to install NOM to my NBU 6.0 MP4 environment (Windows). I've had a quick search of the forum and people are suggesting to install and run NOM on a totally seperate server, as it puts too much load on any master or media server - is this correct?

I've got the Getting Started Guide http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285150.htm, but will start reading this next week. Before I carry out the install is there anything in particular to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

5 REPLIES 5

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
I guess it depends on your configuration.  I installed NOM on a seperate box.  1GB of ram w/ Pentium III era processors and it did fine.  I'm glad I did, because after I got NOM installed I discovered it was pretty useless and promptly uninstalled it / reused the test box for something else.  I think there's also an issue with having multiple SQLAnywhere databases on the same box / they might conflict with one another.

-Jonathan

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Symantec's documentation states that NOM should not be installed on a master server, i.e. it's not just a recommendation.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Some people unknowingly installed it on their master and after suffering greatly found out they had to de-install and put it on another server. Also be aware that you want it on a server that can access ALL servers in your environment.

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Netbackup 6.0 puts a greater processing load on the master server than previous versions that some Symantec techs recommend using a four processor box as a starting configuration for the Master server.  

NOM contains a database and adds processing load to the server.  To make sure NOM doesn't interfere with the backups, it is best to install NOM on a different server. 

Make sure you add a server entry in your bp.conf file for the NOM server, or else the NOM server will not be able to see the Master server.

NOM seems to have greatly improved with Netbackup 6.5. 

Colin_North
Level 6
Guys,
Thanks for your answers, I had pretty much figured that a seperate server was required, as that's what the Symantec docs said. But just wanted to check with people that use it everyday.

Colin.