cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6 - Installing Media Servers

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
Hi,

This is really basic stuff but I'm try to clear up 1 or 2 things with Windows (Server 2003 and Server 2000) installation.
I have installed a Master\Media (Enterprise License) Server and applied MP2. I then install a Media Server. Should I expect the media server to appear automatically under 'Host Properties>Media Server' on the Master Server or do I have to add the media server manually?

Cheers,

Timbo
7 REPLIES 7

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
The Media Server will get added if you have specified the name of Master Server while

installing the Media Server (installation asks for that). Although you can add media server

from Host Properties the best method to add it is to use the command 'nbemmcmd' in

\NetBackup\bin\admincmd from the Master server.

Regards,
Deepak.

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
I'm finding that the Media Server isn't being added automatically to 'Host Properties'>'Media Server' and I'm having to add it manually (to the properties of the Master Server, in the Servers section) - will this be OK?
I did notice from testing that when a client was added, it didn't appear in 'Host Properties'>'Clients' until it was first backed up; I'm wondering if it's the same for media server?'

Why is it better to use commands rather than the GUI to add it?

Cheers,

TimboMessage was edited by:
Tim Wilkinson

Stumpr2
Level 6
The server should show up as a media server once you create a storage unit for it.

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
It is perfectly ok to add media server manually.

Unless 'Host Properties'->'Media Server' shows the media server we cannot use the storage units on media server.One is not able to select the media server while creating a disk storage unit or configuring tape storage unit using the wizard.

Using GUI is perfectly OK, however sometimes I had to bounce services after adding media server to the master server in order to get it detected.

However 'nbemmcmd -addhosts -machinetype media ....' was the SINGLE SHOT method to get it done. And 'nbemmcmd -listhosts' confirms above addition.

Only the clients which are present in policies are visible in 'Host Properties'->'Clients'.

Regards,
Deepak.

Tim_Wilkinson
Level 4
I think these comments cover quite a few different angles...

Stumpr2
Level 6
Diversity is a good thing. NetBackup is very versatile and there are more than one way to accomplish different goals. Some are better, some are the same, but all of them help to define a NetBackup administrator.

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Yes! This command was 'THE' discovery for me in NBU 6.0. One can interact with EMM database directly. Gr8.