cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Licensing doubt

nesmac_bpm
Level 3

Hi there,

The principal site administrator with NBU 8.1 send us tape drives periodically and I need to restore those backups in a remote office with a differente console.

These backup contain snapshots of VMware, SQL and Oracle.

What is the minimum licensing I need on this remote office? Due to a only restore proven scenario (no backups)...

Its ok a Netbackup Server and Library Based Tape Drive license only?

Do I need agents for restore?

What other considerations do I need to know to make it work?

Thanks a lot!

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that you mean tapes, not 'tape drives'?

For traditional agent-based licenses, you will need at least 1 of each option:

Netbackup Enterprise Server
Netbackup Enterprise Client (for VMware restores)
Standard Client
Application and Database 
Library Based Tape Drive

If you have Capacity license, then you don't need anything else for your remote site. 

Thanks Marianne!

Tapes sorry, for what are the Standard Client and Application and Database agent?

So I will need these agents if I am doing only restores?

Regards.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

actually, official Veritas licensing guide tells nothing about "restore only" clients in a traditional model.

Maybe "Cold DR" policy can be applied when restored data are not re-backedup again.

However you should contact your local Veritas reseller to clarify this..

Regards

Michal

Marianne

@Michal_Mikulik1
Our local Veritas SE confirmed recently confirmed that 'restore only' environment needs agents for each feature that will need restore.
Not needed for Capacity license. 

I guess the real test is to try a restore of a feature / database where the license does not exist on the master server. 

Cold DR policy is for real disaster or where DR testing is done (no more than 12days a year).
(With the exception of Failover Readiness Testing, for up to twelve days per calendar year, the Cold Disaster Recovery Licenses cannot be used simultaneously with the production license.)