cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Logs Folder Contents

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

As part of troubleshooting support cases a while ago, I was asked to run mklogdir.bat to create the log directories on all of my NBU servers. This did what was needed at the time, but now I find that if I'm enabling verbose logs for specific processes I run out of disk space very quickly. Ideally I'd like to clear out the log folders so that I can keep as much disk space free as possible for the necessary logs that I actually want to collect at any one time.

Although the readme in the logs folder provides some great information around logs and the individual processes, I just wanted to confirm that I'm ok to go ahead and delete the majority of directories that exist currently. Are there any folders aside from the ALTPATH directory that I should keep? For example, I don't think that the user_ops directory is created by mklogdir.bat.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only ones your really need are user_ops and admin

You can shutdown NetBackup and remove the rest if you wish

In 7.5 the unified logging may well recreate the ones if needs anyway and in view of the default it is handy to use vxlogcfg to controll the maximum number and size of the log files created as they can get pretty big

Having said that bpcd on a client is always useful and bpcd, bptm and bpbrm on a Media Server are always handy

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The only ones your really need are user_ops and admin

You can shutdown NetBackup and remove the rest if you wish

In 7.5 the unified logging may well recreate the ones if needs anyway and in view of the default it is handy to use vxlogcfg to controll the maximum number and size of the log files created as they can get pretty big

Having said that bpcd on a client is always useful and bpcd, bptm and bpbrm on a Media Server are always handy

Hope this helps

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Leave ALTPATH and user_ops, delete the others. You may need to stop Netbackup before you can delete the debug catalog  because Netbackup has open files in those catalogs.

For the next debug session you may wan to enable roboust logging to prevent disk full conditions

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13891

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42592

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi 

you can go -ahead and delete majority of the log directories,  yes you can.

you can keep the user ops.

and also please make sure that the VERBOSE = 0 in registory.

better way is, create a log directory , based on the requirement other than running mklogdir.bat.

like if you need to log of bpcd , just create a directory of bpcd nothing more.

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

All great answers, thank you. I'll definitely clear the directories out, and using robust logging for the legacy logs will hopefully help me to keep some disk space free.