cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU_VSP_CACHE Directory and VSS

kad_2
Not applicable
It is my understanding that the NBU_VSP_CACHE Directory is only used when VSP is selected as the snapshot provider, is this correct?  In my backup policies I am using open file backup with VSS as the snapshot provider.  But I am finding the NBU_VSP_CACHE Directory on several of my servers C:, D:, or other drives. There are times when the files in this directory do not get deleted and cause out of space problems on our servers.  Why is that directory being created if VSP is not selected as the snapshot provider?  Also, if I disable open file backup and not use VSS or VSP, is there still a way to backup open files?  I am running NetBackup Enterprise server v6.0 MP4.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5
walk to "add/remove software" and remove VSP from the Netbackup Client

RiKi
Level 2
I'm having an issue with the file in the NBU_VSP_CACHE directory, this has not been enabled nor installed and it is only creating the directory on the SQL servers.  1 production server has a 15.5 GB file in this directory.  This option is not configured iin the NetBackup Console Ver.6 MP4.  Can this file be deleted or the file be reduced in size without causing issues for the NetBackup or the SQL Server.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
"There are times when the files in this directory do not get deleted and cause out of space problems on our servers"

the file will get left behind sometimes if the backup fails
or
if your scanning software is looking at it when it tries to delete it.

make the the extenion of the file is excluded in your virus software.

RiKi
Level 2
AntiVirus doesn't seem to have a problem with this file and it is causing the disk to fillup.  Can I remove this file without causing problems on the server?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Your master and media version isn't important in this case, but the client version is.  What O/S and patch level, and what NBU and MPn level?

Rikki, the most common source of your problem is AntiVirus.  You must exclude the VSP cache folder from your virus scanner.

To be honest, I don't feel like writing reams and reams about VSP all over again.  I suggest you search through some older (but still recent) posts in this forum for some basic details about VSS and VSP, and also read the relevant pages in the manual.  If you're really determined to sort the problem, then my advice is to invest in a few hours reading.  HTH, kind regards, D.