cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Restore from Partially Successful Full Backup

C_J_Hund
Level 4
Certified
Hi all, We have a NAS device in an environment that never fully finishes backing up every day. I'm being asked to restore data from a policy towards the bottom of our NAS priority list. These policies run full backups daily, and this policy in question always ends up running towards the end of the backup window, so it always ends up erroring out. However, the filesystem we need to restore from is at the very top of the backup selections, and I know the data from that filesystem has been streamed to tape. My problem is that I can't find anything whatsoever in the GUI. I'm guessing that's because the backup never finishes successfully. Is there some way to retrieve data here from a partially successful full NDMP backup? Sincere thanks, C.J.
2 REPLIES 2

lu
Level 6
Which is the status code of your backup ? 1 or 150 ?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
a backup is not successful either partially or otherwise unless it's finished with status 0 or 1.

So, if the status is other than this then you will not be able to restore from the GUI.

It may be possible to interrogate the partial backup if the images have not been overwritten - there has been mention before about using tar to read the tape directly - but I'm not sure how successful this would be & NDMP may throw a further spanner in the works?